• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do I want this coronet?

DudeBroDerk

Local time
8:59 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys! Been lurking around here for a little while now. I’ve been searching for a 71-72 satellite or rr but I haven’t found the right one. I’ve always been a sucker for the coronet aswell and this popped up. Obviously has front end damage. Apart from that how are parts to get for these? Interior parts,front end parts etc? I have very little research into these specifically. Any knowledge appreciated!

IMG_9293.jpeg

IMG_9294.png

IMG_9295.png

IMG_9296.png

IMG_9297.png

IMG_9299.png

IMG_9300.png

IMG_9301.png

IMG_9302.png

IMG_9292.jpeg

Added!

Guy is asking 3500$ or reasonable offer.
Sounded reasonable to me as it is, am I wrong? Obviously you can only judge a picture so much but it looks decent to me!?
Help!

If it isn't rusted but only wrecked, that is a deal.

Do it NOW.jpg

You could get a '70 Coronet instead if you like the front end of the car you posted.
:steering:
:lol:

Yes, you should get it!

Big block car If it's not rusty, good deal. Grill is easily accessable. Fenders are important. They don't make after market quarters....readily available. There is a member that builds them I believe. All other parts are easily attainable.

Everything is easy to get other than the grill surrounds. I have seen those go for $3500 plus.

Not sure if a quick trip to the frame- straighteners is in order... but if you know one, all the better :thumbsup:

Otherwise, could be good. Maybe start at 2500.

I bought a 65 Coronet that looked just like the front end of this car. I thought it was an easy repair. Just replace bumper grill and lower radiator support. After digging into it found: Both front frame rails bent inward. Was able to pull out side out. The other side I had to replace the front 3 feet of the rail. The K-member was also tweaked. Had to replace it. Turned into a big job. The way the fenders are bent upward suggests the inner fender panels are also bent out of shape. If you can do frame work and have lots of time go for it.

Pretty good oopsie right in the middle. More easily fixed than rust. You can always chain it to a tree and back the big damage out. Doors look straight. Hood looks good....low ground strike such as a fire hydrant? Bent in fraimrails...get a bottle jack and 4x4 and press them back apart. I'd buy it for $3500.

If frame and body not too crusty with rust? And looks as if the hood was spared? It's not a bad deal at all. IMO.

Anything you buy will need something. Question is how big of "something " can you deal with. They are always more work and money than we anticipated. I bought my 65 coronet for $4000. Very solid running big block. Thought I could do it all for $13,000. Took twice that; and that was 20yrs ago. I like the 67 body style , but no matter the style go into it with both eyes opened wide.

Look under the trim above the rear wheels.
That trim traps leaves which can lead to rust.
That area sheet metal is full of compound curves and razor sharp body lines, making it extremely difficult to repair.
...and as mentioned patch panels difficult if not impossible to find.

However, the front end parts can be sourced relatively easily...from a 4 door car, and the core support can even come from a Plymouth.

if its not the dream car then pass, our toys are not cheap anymore to build. Go for what you really want.

If I bought that car I would replace the damaged grill and bumper with ones from a 66/67 Charger and put in the hidden headlight grille. It is a direct bolt in assembly. If a whole Charger parts car is available, the electrolumenescent dash and full length console and four bucket seats would find their way into the car as well!

This looks like a solid car, apart from front end damage. The car is coded as 383, 2- bbl, and automatic, so definitely worth saving, as big block car. The grill surrounds will surely be expensive to replace. Try Special T's near Chicago. He restores and replates these. I had to pay $1100.00 for a driver's side 6 years ago for my R/T. Grill and headlight bezels are fairly common at swap meets. The front bumper and braces on this car took most of the force of the crash, and may have saved the frame rails from damage. Personally, I would not pay extra to do the Charger front grill. A friend has a 1966 Charger and has had trouble with the hide away headlights; relays and motors and things. Try to lowball the seller, and see what happens.

There are all kinds of actuators available to make the headlights rotate now a days. I would use a modern setup to make them operate instead of the old-school motors and relays.

The car is a great color combination, big block, looks fairly original and lacking rust. That's a great start!

These are one of the slightly lesser loved cars. Parts are a little harder to find because they reproduce less, but used parts you do find are generally cheaper than the more desirable cars like Chargers and Roadrunners.

If you can verify the lack of rust, I would offer $2K and see where it goes. Try turning the engine over by hand and to make sure its not seized. If it is seized, you can use that as a bargaining chip to reduce the price. In the end, I would still pay up to the $3.5k asked if it has little to no rust and the engine turns over.

Go for it. It is as good as any for the price. If you like the car...they are all going to take plenty of work, so no reason to pay too much up front. Offer them 2500 and take it home and get started.

Anytime I see a classic Mopar for less than $10k, regardless of condition, the price catches my eye.
IMO $3500 is nearly free for a Mopar in this hobby these days. It’s not a waste of money regardless of what you decide to with it at that price.
Go for it if you want one.

Auto Transport Service
Back