• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do people just walk into your house like they do in TV shows?

Living in a rural area, where farms were at least quarter of a mile apart, when people were home no one locked there doors this was that way until about 1990, maybe later. If you were out in the winter, got stuck in the snow you just walked to one of the neighbours, went in and laid down on a chesterfield, got up in the morning and said hello to your friends Mom and Dad. This was mainly in the 50’s and 60’s.
No one even worried, not even a baseball bat was at the door.
Doors have been locked for years.
Just seems normal now, in the City for 52 years, virtually no one stops by unannounced, including kids, grandkids.
We are still not at a stage where we feel that we need a firearm handy.

Kramer_Entrances.gif

No one I know would do it here.....and we don't have guns.....cant imagine why anyone would do it there!! Its just manners.....I could be doing anything!! That said I have the type of doors that are always locked from the outside if they are shut....so I would have to leave the door actually open for someone to walk in.
That would be darn annoying to have to unlock the door every time I wanted in and at home. But I am not a city dweller either.

Doors being left locked/unlocked are a whole 'nother subject from allowing people to waltz right in
them....just saying.

Like Ironbuilt eluded to...
For me, coming from a "retreat and hide in your closet and hope they don't find you" state, Im really embracing the "Castle Doctrine", it creates peace of mind, knowing that I can now protect my home from intruders, no questions asked.

Last edited:
4 acres in the country, house is 1000' from the road and the detached garage-mahal is behind that. Front door stays locked, back door (fenced yard with (2) 65 lb dogs) is locked when people aren't home, unlocked when we're home but the canine doorbells keep people outside the fence. NOBODY simply walks in. Nobody can get up the drive un-noticed anyway. Everyone calls, texts, or at the very least knocks.

Like someone noted above - we're rural. EVERYONE is armed. And all my friends know I carry daily.

4 acres in the country, house is 1000' from the road and the detached garage-mahal is behind that. Front door stays locked, back door (fenced yard with (2) 65 lb dogs) is locked when people aren't home, unlocked when we're home but the canine doorbells keep people outside the fence. NOBODY simply walks in. Nobody can get up the drive un-noticed anyway. Everyone calls, texts, or at the very least knocks.

Like someone noted above - we're rural. EVERYONE is armed. And all my friends know I carry daily.

And I bet that you have shitloads of vegetation around your house for the bad guys to hide in!

Our neighbours across the road have on occasion inadvertently left their garage door wide open all night. Being the goodly neighbour I am, I usually go over and knock on their door and let them know. It has happened with the previous occupiers of the house going back 20 years now....must be a peculiarity with the door press button.

Anyway....one afternoon, my wife & I went out for a drive, and came back at dark o'clock. I pointed out to my wife that the door across the road was still open...as it had been when we left. The house is multi-level, and the garage door is effectively remote from the living areas by a small staircase with internal doors top & bottom.

So I said to my wife, I'll just pop over and let them know .....didn't have their phone number at that time. So I knock on the door.....again, and again, and again. Managed to get the attention of several other neighbour dogs while knocking, but not the occupants attention in the slightest..

So I thought....I'll bang on the window next to the front door...as I was under the impression it was their bedroom window. Well, nek minute, J**** is peering at me through the front door glass side window in his boxers.....opens the door seemingly dazed, and asks "what's up?"
When I told him, he rushed off downstairs to hit the garage door button. Problem solved.

Not quite....then his wife comes to the front door wearing not much more.....and starts chatting to me, with this 'guilty' look on her face. It was quite weird, and yet somehow pleasant. :D

Me suspects that I interrupted something there...... :bananadance:

Anyhoo...they both thanked me, and quietly shut the door....and off I went home.

Wifey asked what happened. To which I replied....not much :lol:

Sorry KD....that doesn't answer your question, but somehow seemed relevant. :rofl:

Most people coming to my place wait outside to be invited in. Mainly because I am standing at the door on a higher level, and looking menacingly at them. JW's get the full wrath of my presence....even the old ladies that try and weedle their way in. :)

PS....I have the neighbour's cell phone number now. :drinks:
Certainly a nice thing to do; but unless I knew the neighbor I’d no longer do that. Today there are some real cautious people, including me, having weapons. Some might shoot 1st and ask later.

I’ve made the mistake of leaving my garage door open more than once. I got a rabid raccoon once and then a squirrel trapped in the garage when I closed it. That critter did all sorts of damage ruining window screens, window framing, etc. Luckily no damage to my old ride. Still, most nice days the doors are open as I spend most of the day in the garage.

Back when my folks often left the door open and always were nice about telling friends to come on in. My bud’s would stop by looking for me, walking through the house, sometimes while my folks were dozed off on the sofa with TV blaring, lol. We still kid about this 50 years later. Different times – sadly.

Once you leave home you'd better at least ring the door bell, as you don't want to see your Mom bent over the meat block in the kitchen at lunch time....
lmao,,thanks for that visual. Ugh!

Life experiences or maybe just it's because I'm getting older,, not a fan of the "walk right in." I've seen a few guys, black out drunk, trying to get into the wrong house/apt. Damn lucky they haven't been shot.

It is a sad deal today with so many skanks and we hear all the stories on the media across the country unlike we did back when. I used to hitch-hike going to buddy’s houses before I got my license and picked them up on occasion back when. My mother got real pissed when she found out I hitched rides back in the 60’s. Could be I was real lucky…nada a chance I’d think of doing this today and haven’t for 40+ years…Kowalski gave us a lesson when he picked up those to two homo’s, lol.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:Not laughing at you but at what you stated. I am somewhat the same way myself. Just made me laugh out loud...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

Well it is true. Home is where I go to get away from people so I’m not very accommodating to company. When the doorbell rings I don’t even bother to see who it is, unless I’ve ordered a pizza.

Certainly a nice thing to do; but unless I knew the neighbor I’d no longer do that. Today there are some real cautious people, including me, having weapons. Some might shoot 1st and ask later.
I don't have that issue here...they are nice people, and their kids go to the same schools my kids do (and did).
While we don't always talk across the road....we do wave out to each other when needed....all friendly stuff. Sometimes I have to wipe my chin after waving to the Mrs. :D

We still have children walking to school in grade two and up 1/4 of a mile or more, by themselves with friends. Yes there are problems in the City in areas. We are a quarter of a mile from the school and have been since 1976. Delightful to still see it happening now.

When I was a preschooler (before they had preschools) I was home with my mom. The laundryman used to knock and quickly come in delivering our dry cleaning.
The delivery man did that once when my dad had come home from lunch and took a quick nap on the couch. Dad Flipped. I thought he was going to kill the guy.

Auto Transport Service
Back