• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

do the carb Heat Insulator Base Flange Gasket really work?

davek

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:00 AM
Reaction score
440 6 pack with N96 setup. No I dont have the vapor return line It was an 383 car. Will it help until I do install an vapor return line? 1/4 thick https://www.ebay.com/itm/Holley-Heat-Insulator-Base-Flange-Gasket-For-Model-2300-Carbs-/292562711327
s-l1600.jpg

I'm using an Edelbrock 9266 with my original AVS and haven't had any fuel related issues no matter how hot the ambient temps get. When I used the thin paper gasket it did not idle well sitting in traffic.

All the time spent on installing those gaskets, just put on a return line and be done with it. They work.

also ethanol free fuel is a big improvement.

Even a wood spacer can help.....but a return line is probably the best bet.

I was helping a fellow racer at the drags, he was going rounds. He had a wood spacer, and that carb was so cool I couldn’t believe it. The engine was warm having just made several passes in one hour, hot summer day.

Also check your local Farmers Co-Op if you have one. Ours around here sell 93 non ethanol.

I just ordered the ones I showed. I assume you need to still use the paper gaskets with the wood one?

I was helping a fellow racer at the drags, he was going rounds. He had a wood spacer, and that carb was so cool I couldn’t believe it. The engine was warm having just made several passes in one hour, hot summer day.

Agree, they actually help and last I heard wood was best

Thanks. That's what I want to hear... because that's the one I ordered. I drove about 20 miles to a friend's shop yesterday (about 84 degrees here), and when I went to fire her up again she was a bit too hot.

Installed on my RR and the hood would not close. Not enough clearance.

Just a follow-up on the wood spacer. Since my last post, I received it, installed it, and went on a few cruises. The carb is much happier now. No problems with restarting on a hot day.

Installed on my RR and the hood would not close. Not enough clearance.

That was a concern for me too, Beep. I did have to cut the threaded rod down a little to get the hood to clear. But my Coronet's a small block, so I probably have less of an issue than you BB guys.

I just put a set on the Bee hope to have clear weather this weekend to find out. :praying:

I've always used a 1" spacer on my RPM to keep the fuel from bubbling after shutoff. When I switched to a tall single plane intake, had no room for the spacer (even with the 6-barrel scoop) and again would get fuel gurgling in the bowls after sitting a few minutes. 1/4" phenolic spacer cured it.

Auto Transport Service
Back