• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you jet for MPH or ET?

SUPERSTOCKRACER

Local time
9:57 AM
Reaction score
I've always heard that you jet your car for MPH but I'm starting to think it might be better to jet for ET instead.
I have also found out by raising timing you lose MPH but you gain ET.
Anyone?

Can you repeat the question? I didn't hear you.

Tune for consistency.... :D

I know how to tune my wife out.

I've never seen much in MPH and ET with jet changes on a 4 stroke engine. But I don't have EGT's or O2's either. Now 2 strokes are a different story they are a lot more touchy.

As for timing - you are correct. You advance the timing you will lose MPH but gain ET. That is because you are gaining more torque because it's starting the fire sooner.. It is firing while the piston is further down the bore and the piston has to fight the explosion (which is trying to push the piston back down) to hit TDC.
When you retard it you will lose bottom end but she'll sing on the big end. The piston is firing closer to TDC so there is not as much resistance...

I agree to a point about the timing. Bill Jenkins many years back would bring in a second set of points in high gear to retard the timing some when he pulled 4th gear just for that reason. His second point set would overlap the other set for more dwell and later timing but he kept it advanced more in the first 3 gears.
I have always been told to jet for mph but if you gain mph your going to gain et to a point if your doing it with jet. Ron

if your looking for horsepower jet for mph. looking for e.t./consistency? I always thought that was a chassis/driver thing, but what do I know,...lol. do whatever you feel the most comfortable with.

Tune for consistency.... :D

I agree. Jet the car to change with the weather. Density Altitude goes up car slows down, Density Altitude goes down car goes quicker/mph picks up.

The old saying Lean is Mean is true... runs hard but hard on parts...

Yes retarding the timing in high gear will pick up et and mph. We did this in the class cars Stockers and Super Stockers. Hook up a micro switch to the shifter to activate msd retard when you pull it into high gear.

Auto Transport Service
Back