• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you launch with 1 or 2 hands on the Steering Wheel

I had to think about it for a second but left hand at about 9:00 with elbow on the arm rest and right hand on the shifter. Most recently I was racing my 66 Bel and it has a column shift.

right hand on the wheel at 12:00, left hand on the buttons

yep, i love squeezing my hand between the buttons and a pillar rollcage.

Attachments

• 63 PLYMOUTH 65 DODGE A990 68 HEMI ROADRUNNER 020.JPG
    63 PLYMOUTH 65 DODGE A990 68 HEMI ROADRUNNER 020.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 241
I had to think about it for a second but left hand at about 9:00 with elbow on the arm rest and right hand on the shifter. Most recently I was racing my 66 Bel and it has a column shift.
My first 66 was a column shift and I kept both hands about 9 and 3 with my right thumb hooked on the wheel and moving the shifter with my fingers....

My first 66 was a column shift and I kept both hands about 9 and 3 with my right thumb hooked on the wheel and moving the shifter with my fingers....

Thats very cool.I got the same thing going with nmy 69.5 superbee column Automatic.

Attachments

• 115-1523_IMG.JPG
    115-1523_IMG.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 221
Make a bracket and mount the trans brake button on the driver side of the shifter. That way your left hand remains on the wheel, once you let go of the
trans brake button your right hand can go immediatey to the shifter.
Easier that hand off wheel and down to the shifter- and quicker.
See I'm making it easier for you to concentrate on me in the other lane driving away...LOL:bootyshake:

Thats very cool.I got the same thing going with nmy 69.5 superbee column Automatic.
My first car was a 66 Belvedere with column shift 318 poly and 727 and I got used to shifting like that.....and it went from there. In 70, a 383 went in and well, same thing lol

HA! Good trick. I might try it.

I would keep the left hand at 9:00 and the right hand on the shifter with my thumb on the roll control button. Had a bracket made on the shifter. Use to be a 727 with lightning rods.

I was wondering what you racers do when you leave off the tree.
Do you have 1 or 2 hands on the steering wheel?
Do you hold it at the top or bottom with the 1 hand or do you hold the steering wheel with 2 hands in the 10 oclock -2 oclock position?

Always with 1 hand on the wheel at the 11 o'clock possition & 1 hand on the 2nd gear Lenco lever with a transbrake Auto trans I would do roughly the same. I allways would install a small piece of yellow electrical tape at the 12 o'clock possition to make sure whne the wheel came down I was pointing straight down the track when leaving hard some time I would have a tendency to jerk the wheel alittle of center & kill a bunch of ET by scrubbing the front tires slightly. My father tought me to use both hands but I started to go way too fast to react to the shift light with both hands on the wheel.

Always with 1 hand on the wheel at the 11 o'clock possition & 1 hand on the 2nd gear Lenco lever with a transbrake Auto trans I would do roughly the same. I allways would install a small piece of yellow electrical tape at the 12 o'clock possition to make sure whne the wheel came down I was pointing straight down the track when leaving hard some time I would have a tendency to jerk the wheel alittle of center & kill a bunch of ET by scrubbing the front tires slightly. My father tought me to use both hands but I started to go way too fast to react to the shift light with both hands on the wheel.

You need that YELLOW TAPE. Helps me line up at the stsrting line so I don't aim for the wall after the takeoff. Its tough when you can't see over thew hood and your praying your going straight.

I go to the strip a lot as a spectator, have only driven a few times. Most would say they have no idea where my hands were, but my head must have been planted firmly between the lower cheeks!

Left hand on the wheel and right hand on the shifter. Ron

100_1126.jpg

Hello, newbie here. Looking for steering parts and came across this one. I see I'm not alone - right hand @ 1:00 and the left thumb on the buttons! Don't see too many that still use them.

Hello, newbie here. Looking for steering parts and came across this one. I see I'm not alone - right hand @ 1:00 and the left thumb on the buttons! Don't see too many that still use them.

i still use them. looking to go faster next year in my 63 savoy.
should be a challenge.

Wheelstand driving

Left hand at 9 oclock with my elbow locked against the door to go straight and right hand thumb on the transbrake switch on right side of steering wheel, after i release the brake i put right hand on shifter cause its still up at times when i go into 2nd gear what a rush!!!!!

Between the coffee, the 4 speed shifter and the cell phone, how the hell am I supposed to have a hand on the wheel?

Between the coffee, the 4 speed shifter and the cell phone, how the hell am I supposed to have a hand on the wheel?

And if you were a girl don't forget putting your make up on.:bootyshake:

Left hand at 9 oclock with my elbow locked against the door to go straight and right hand thumb on the transbrake switch on right side of steering wheel, after i release the brake i put right hand on shifter cause its still up at times when i go into 2nd gear what a rush!!!!!

Well I'll be at 12:00 with the left hand and 3:00 with the right while i'm pushing the red little button. Someone's feelings are gonna get hurt!

Auto Transport Service
Back