• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you leave your car unattended at shows and cruise-ins?

Do you leave your car unattended at shows and cruise-ins?

• Yes

Votes: 40 62.5%
  • Sometimes - depends

Votes: 19 29.7%
  • Never!

Votes: 5 7.8%

• Total voters
It’s kind of a situational decision. If the spectators are mostly car folks I’ll wander the show. Cruise night I prefer to be close enough to keep an eye on the car, because it tends to attract a lot of non car people that can’t understand the concept of “if it’s not yours, don’t touch it“. There’s a couple shows that I attend as part of a group, there’s always someone around to keep an eye on the cars…

19983971_1377503218953822_996406030347845512_o.jpg

Last edited:
I leave my Savoy alone and walk the swap meet or watch racing etc. My car basically looks like a barn find anyway so I'm not really concerned about scratches or somebody leaning on the fenders. I do find myself leaving the keys in it though but I always turn the battery off with the shut-off at the rear of the car.
The whole parts theft thing at some car shows does concern me even though I don't have any rare parts on my car other than some dent free trim they don't reproduce.
Gus

savoy at mikes.JPG

If I had to sit beside my car the whole entire show I'd never attend a single one ever again. If I go to one I show up, park the car and spend the whole time walking around with zero concern but I drive mine every where so.. I've always thought it's a sin to own a nice classic and not use it often.

When I took my car to Cooly on the Rocks weekend 2 years ago, on the Saturday morning I parked the car, opened the hood, got my push bike out of the trunk and rode the 15 miles home. I had things to do at home, sport etc.
I went back in the afternoon with the family and enjoyed all the cars, food, music etc that was there and then drove it home.
Sunday morning same deal.
The car was there from 6am to 7pm both days, windows down, hood open.
I was there about 3 hours each day which was plenty of time. Couldn't sit there all day, too boring.
20210612_073915.jpg

20210612_173601.jpg

Do I leave my car unattended... sure do! My '13 Charger or the tow rig sit in public parking in the hay field at Iola or around the corner at the local cruise in every time. I just lock the doors!

oh maybe you meant in the show.

Well I daily my Ramcharger so I don't worry about that a whole lot. Course I only park it in the local cruise in once in a blue moon either. Not really nice enough to be a trophy type.
But I have been the same with anything else really. I have never really owned a "prestige" type of car though. Takes some of the fun away IMO if you can't cruise it daily with the windows down and let people look and have their own memories seeing it.

Few years ago at the Mopar Nats, thieves were stealing air cleaners and floor mats out of cars in the show field ! In broad daylight.

Depends on the show.
As a general rule. At actual shows I'll stay close for a while when I first get there. But will take a stroll around after maybe an hour or so.
Then grab a chair and stay close.

Cars and coffee events, I pull in and park, I might give the car a quick wipe down ( maybe ) Then leave for a bit to walk around and ck out the cars. But at those Im rarely there no more than maybe 2 hours or so

Oddly my biggest fear is someone snapping the hood ornament off the car.

To be honest, I MUCH prefer simple Cruises and cars and Coffee events. Or Wife and I take it to Breakfast or dinner sometimes. In those cases, I'll try my best to sit where I can keep an eye on it. If not, so be it. Its insured

Last edited:
20230513_184606.jpg
20230513_193153.jpg
I just park then walk around and look at other cars and talk to people. I go by the car often incase anyone has questions or wants to talk about it.
20230430_100343.jpg
20230430_093723.jpg

I don't take it to shows unless they benefit the local FD or PD or Military. I just like cruising around with it but it is never out of my sight when I take it out,even in my garage it has cameras on it and GPS.

Last edited:
Just yesterday I left mine unattended with the windows down at the dollar store.

Nothing in my car is worth as much as a window glass and the labor to clean it up if broken and find and install a new one.

I think it was my first or second car show that I went to after finally getting the car painted. The cars were all lined up and many owners were gathered in small groups, sitting down away from their cars. I was sitting next to my car when I noticed a woman walking with her kids, between the cars. One of them was just running her hand along the side of the cars. The other one had a small toy car in his hand and he was taking it for a cruise along the sides of the cars. I stood up, crossed my arms and gave the woman a look as she approached. She grabbed her kids hands and said let’s walk over here and turned around. So yes, I’m a little leery of leaving it unattended.

I just went to a local show yesterday. This was an open show of all makes, but our Mopar club President helped to organize it. As per usual, I gave my car a quick dust after parking, set up my sun shade, and then wandered around the show to see the other cars and chat with friends. I never worry about my car at these local shows. Parents with small kids have been respectful of our treasures. I spoke with amn yesterday that looking my R/T over. He said that he had bought a new 1966 383 Belvedere, and traded it in on a new 1967 Gold R/T. The next year, he traded the R/T for a new 1968 RoadRunner. There are always interesting cars to see and people to talk to at these events. After the show, the Mopar guys went back to our club president's nearby place for a Barbecue. A beautiful day.
One year, a group of us Mopar guys went to the Woodworth Ave. Cruise 125 miles away in Detroit. We were lucky enough to get parking right in front of a restaurant. We spent the day looking at some of he cars there, and watching cars cruise past us on the street. Toward the end of the afternoon, we went in the restaurant to grab a quick meal before heading home. When I came out of the restaurant, I found a girl sitting on my rear fender, while her boyfriend was resting his elbow and a can of beer on my roof. I not so politely asked them to get the F*&K off my car. Boyfriend asked, "What's your problem?" I answered, "You two F*&KING A$$HOLE$!". I have never been back.

...to the Woodworth Ave. Cruise 125 miles away in Detroit....
That's Woodward Ave! Show some respect man!
Hahahaa okay...good story though. It still boggles the mind that people think they can just lean on someone else's car, I don't care if it's my Mopar at a show or the wife's SUV at the grocery store..

Always, especially if there's a bar, with Cold Drafts. Most of the Cruise Nites are VFW Post's, local Social Clubs, or Churches. The few Shows we attend are either Mopar, or Charity Events, so Mainly Good, Mature crowds...

Auto Transport Service
Back