• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do your cars have a names?

Ran 6:17 at the Tri Oval and 6:50 gears at St Charles in Dana's and later in 8 3/4 6:17 and 5:57 late in the season when it got dry slick.
I think you can still get up to the 7's in dana 60 and but 8 3/4 the deep stuff is not available anymore. I have had both 741 and 742 case 6:17's.
Ran with spools in 8 3/4s and both Spool and power-locks in Dana's. 6:17 in 8 3/4 would only survive with synthetic gear oil.
It was good to be sponsored by Mobil 1 at the time.

617 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
The pinion gear in a 6.17 ratio must be tiny!

My buddies or kids named them. I have a few:
1) Ritsie, for the R/T S.E. Charger.
2) SHAKER, hence the super Shaker scoop I made.
3) 500, for the 500 S.E. Charger.
4) Roached Runner, self explanatory.
5) The Pickle, for the New Yorker.
6) Dually, for the Dually.
7) New Challenger, not to confuse with the other 70 Challenger.

IMG_4598.jpg

photo0.jpeg

20200919_150659.jpg

20210530_123448.jpg

20230527_111409.jpg

20210904_171159.jpg

20230709_181723.jpg

My buddies or kids named them. I have a few:
1) Ritsie, for the R/T S.E. Charger.
2) SHAKER, hence the super Shaker scoop I made.
3) 500, for the 500 S.E. Charger.
4) Roached Runner, self explanatory.
5) The Pickle, for the New Yorker.
6) Dually, for the Dually.
7) New Challenger, not to confuse with the other 70 Challenger.
I really like Ritsie! That is an awesome name and fits so well. I had a friend that used to drive a big green '72 Chevy Caprice that he used to call "Big Dill". His dad told him it was a big deal when he gave him the car for his 16th birthday and the name evolved from there. "My dad said this car is a big dill" followed by loud snickers...

I like The Dill. You should contract it out for movies. They want old cars that are somewhat normal, meaning the streets weren't full of Mustangs, Camaros, and Chargers back in the day. There were other cars too.

I've never been one for giving my cars names. Maybe I'm just not creative enough. The closest we ever came was for the 1981 Dodge Ram 50. Really a Mitsubishi. It's in really great shape, its black paint is shiny and it's finally getting some attention for being how old it is and how good of shape it's in. 15 years ago we called it the "Little Black Truck." or the "Ugly Little Black Truck." I remember my daughter was horrified when Grandpa picked her up from high school in it 15 years ago.

Do you have names for your vehicles?
Our '69 Charger never had a name for a long time, but at some point it seemed that every time I stopped for gas someone would ask,
"Zat Chahjah f'sale?" We thought "Chahjah" was appropriate, so that is his name and the name on the license plate.
Our '66 Austin-Healey 3000 sold new in Raleigh and stayed in eastern North Carolina through 7 owners before it got to us. My wife said it is a real "Tarheel Healey" so the name became TARHEELY, also on the license plate.

I've named two vehicles over my extensive vehicular ownership time from 1972 to the present. One was my 1954 Hudson Super Jet sedan, which I dubbed "Benny". The other was a '55 Chevy Cameo pickup I had in the late '80s, which was "Slug". The other 800+ cars and trucks all remained with whatever name the factory gave them.

To me, boats and airplanes get named. Race cars, too.

Auto Transport Service
Back