• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do your cars have a names?

My brother's wife had a Durango that she wore out, so he bought her another one and the engine failed so he bought her another one and the tranny failed so he bought her another one. He told me, "I've bought so many Durangos, I had to name them. I call this one Number 4."

Some of my cars have got names.
I used to call my Challenger convertible “Exxon Valdez” because it leaked so much oil. Alternatively I called it ”Old Drippy”. I had a lot of engine work done 5 years ago and it doesn’t leave a trail of oil drops on the pavement everywhere I drive anymore (though still leaks some) so that nickname got shelved. Now I just call it the vert.
My B5 09 Challenger I sold last year I called Blue Bomber. I don’t know how or when I came up with that nickname but I called it that for years.
My 71 Challenger V code I was trying to sell for quite some time but it never got much interest. It’s a super clean beautiful car and everyone including me has been baffled why, best we can figure is that given how snobby E body fans are about color, it is shunned because it’s dark autumn bronze, a root beer color. I knicknamed it “Poo brown“ due to my frustration with no one wanting a Challenger that isn’t purple or glow worm green.
And when I bought my Ram 2500 that is so big I have to thread the needle to maneuver it behind my house to where I park it, I quickly started calling it “Ramstein“.

I called this R2D3:

IMG_3136.JPG

No, I'm not a big Star Wars fan but it is the second red truck that I've owned (R2) ...and the third new Dodge one. (D3)

I could never really embrace that name though. It just didn't stick.
I have called my 73 Dart Sport the D/Sport.

These two cars though....I never planned on buying the one I call "Jigsaw". I figured if/when I bought another B body that I'd look for a 68-70 Belvedere or Coronet. This beater just became available and I had the parts to fix it.

The names Ginger and Jigsaw just happened.
When I get around to painting Jigsaw, I may call it Mary Anne.
The red car is more attention getting but Mary Anne might be easier to live with!

2 Chargers GA.jpg

my Durango is the "Rebel Machine" ...... not to be confused with a "Rebel Machine" (accent on "Rebel")

and yes, I put the wiper back on

machine.jpg
ride.jpg

Last edited:
My dad had a 1950 Plymouth he called Tilly. I let my daughter drive my Satellite for two years and she named it the Blue Bomber.

Brewzer it is for me. Named for the black and blue color scheme, what happens to your ego when I kick your *** in a race, and because I hail from Milwaukee and we're noted for our beer. Not to mention all the scrapes and bruises I've gotten over the years working on it.

Nuff' said.

100_1081.JPG

100_1080.JPG

Well, not really, mostly.
Dakota is "Dakota"
Ramcharger is "The white truck" except so is the Dakota now, so this will probably go back to the mouthful of "Ramcharger" which despite being CAF does not roll off the tongue.
'13 Charger is "Charger" or sometimes "black car"
Daughter's 03 Impala is "purple car"(it's actually that GM burgundy color)
The 78 Monaco is "old cop car"

And then there is my 2500HD 8.1/allison.
usually "black truck" but I have also called it:
Bruticus
Chonk
Grand Lord Chonkulous(OK my teenage son did that one a few years back)
Beef

Because it could pull the stripes off a tiger. Uproot a tree. Maybe even move your Mom.

Otherwise no I never name things proper names, always felt silly. I guess the black truck inspires that sillyness with how it behaves when I use it.... well maybe how I behave when I use it....

“The Mayflower”. My uncle,RIP, named her when he bought her new back in ‘69. I took over as guardian in ‘77. Yup, she’s been in the family for a while.

IMG_4965.png

Some of my past cars were named. (Or more accurately the name chose it.) But most do not.

My wife named our T/A Challenger 'Cheeto'. Its the perfect name for her I think.

Our 70 Coronet Convertible is called 'Bluey'. Its complicated, but in Australia they call redheads Bluey. Why, I don't know. Im a kiwi that worked in Australia for quite a fewyears so some of the language stuck. She is red, but in theory has no head lol. Anyway, Bluey is her name.

20180621_084858_IMG_0850.jpeg

20230422_124933.jpg

I never really planned to name any of my cars, I said a name one time and it stuck. Top finishers had to scale after races. The first race in '89 I got yelled at after pulling on the scales.
I got back to my pit and the crew asked what was up and I said the Iron Duke is too heavy and they don't want me to break the scale so I have to pull off to the side.
After that the name stuck and all my stock cars were Iron Duke I II III etc. The first Iron Duke was a real tank 4000lbs tube chassis car with B body clip, 76 Sport Fury skin, 440, 4 spd and a dana 60 with 6:17 gear.

IronDuke - Copy.jpg

IronDuke I - Copy.jpg

IronDuke3 - Copy.jpg

III - Copy.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back