• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone here own a Chevy Vega or Monza ?

Kiwi, excuse me, I'm slightly confused. (Heck, being only Slightly confused is an improvement).
Is your axle drawing a rear view of a righthand drive, or a front view of a left hand drive? Front or rear steer?
Front steering - looking at the front of the vehicle......and it is still left hand drive as original.

The steering drag link (side to side bar) is behind the beam axle.

Tie rod end on the passenger side.

Front steering - looking at the front of the vehicle......and it is still left hand drive as original.

The steering drag link (side to side bar) is behind the beam axle.

Tie rod end on the passenger side.
Its all fun steer some do rack and pinion some just do true some do variable ratio.

How bout a PS system that uses a slave? Ford used them on lots of cars in the 60's. They basically used a manual steering box with that system....
I looked into this - a system which is much like the Mustangs used. Trouble is, I need a steering gear box with the extra two ports for the ram to be operated as a slave, and since space is a premium, I don't think I can squeeze all that in underneath.

Currently the steering box is just under the floor pan, so there is not a lot of space to wriggle stuff around.
Here is a picture from when I pulled the truck apart - you can see the mounting position for the steering box in the right hand corner....jus on top of the chassis rail

upload_2021-9-20_10-36-10.png

The big hole is where the output shaft exits, and connects to the actual drag link which controls the driver side wheel assembly.
Drag link...
upload_2021-9-20_10-39-2.png

The steering arm can be seen in the yellow circle..
upload_2021-9-20_10-40-5.png

upload_2021-9-20_10-40-43.jpeg

Any front steer forward mounted box should rotate the way you want. Size and mounting it are the problems. Any 70s-86 square body Chevy has that box, same box on Dodge trucks of the same area. Drawback is they mount outside the frame and the size may not fit under the floor.

Any front steer forward mounted box should rotate the way you want. Size and mounting it are the problems. Any 70s-86 square body Chevy has that box, same box on Dodge trucks of the same area. Drawback is they mount outside the frame and the size may not fit under the floor.
Agreed.
Most boxes are either too big, or have the output shaft exiting the wrong side for me.

Rotating the mounting position is easy when there is a ton of space, and fabbing brackets can be done....I'm trying to keep this small and as inconspicuous as possible. It's quite busy underneath, so trying to fit in the space I have is ideal for me.

Too bad an old Dakota or newer ram 1500 2 wheel drive rack wouldn’t work.

Too bad an old Dakota or newer ram 1500 2 wheel drive rack wouldn’t work.

Thing with a rack is an A100 has a straight axle... The link that connects both front wheels (Like a rack does) needs to move up & down with the axle....

Gonna be awful hard to get a rack to move with the axle..

FWIW the link the connects the front wheels together is supposed to be the Tie Rod... The link that connects the left wheel to the steering box is the Drag Link...

Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 8.03.01 PM.png

Jimmer....
Gotta say you've got a great username.
I've called my son this for 39 years.
Thanks !
When I was a kid there was this German movie about a sasquatch type monster called the Yimmer.
My uncle joked and called me Jimmer.
So it stuck
My name is James but never been called that accept by telemarketers.
I was either Jim, Jimmy or Jimmer.

There's the wagon.
Just over 100 thousand miles.
Runs good.
No rust accept battery tray.
Was going to v8 it.
To many other projects.
Anyone in washing looking for one ?
Pm me .

Not enough Vega's left but back in the day the saying was "On a quiet night you can hear Vega's rust"

I believe the pic Dan64 posted is a Ford Ranger
steering box. It would also work for your
application.

@Dan64 - I think I can see, but can you confirm that this steering box is manual?
Thanks.
The box in the pic is manual. The power steering
box for a Ranger is a little different in the housing
and the input shaft is shorter.

I had a 1978 Oldsmobile Firenza with a Chevy 305 that I bought new for my wife to be. It was single handily the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned. They were prone to control arm problems due to the fact it was a 4 banger Vega setup with a 305 and that THM-200 Transmission was totally useless. I built GM for years because everything for them is dirt cheap and could be found all over the place. GM had their share of thrown together garbage. It was about as refined as the 350 diesel they came up with!
78-OldesmobileStarfireFirenza_ScottR-1024x530.jpg

@Dan64 - I think I can see, but can you confirm that this steering box is manual?
Thanks.
It's not mine,I can't find any close up pictures of the one i just sold but i'm 99 percent sure it's manual, power Vega boxes are not widely used and almost never used in a small/ mid sized hot rod builds. My only experience with Vega boxes are in light weight Model A's.

I had a 1978 Oldsmobile Firenza with a Chevy 305 that I bought new for my wife to be. It was single handily the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned. They were prone to control arm problems due to the fact it was a 4 banger Vega setup with a 305 and that THM-200 Transmission was totally useless. I built GM for years because everything for them is dirt cheap and could be found all over the place. GM had their share of thrown together garbage. It was about as refined as the 350 diesel they came up with!
View attachment 1168958
Lol, my buddy in H.S. had gm's twin turd, the Sky Hawk ("Skank Chicken"). Yeah, it was a even slower version of a turd barrel.

Vega box with cross steering on a 38 Chevy coupe with a straight axle or a power steering assist system off a '70 Torino. These don't go into the gear box. They use a ram cylinder, could mount the cylinder like a stabilizer shock, mount the pump, and have power steering.
DSCN5524 copy.jpg
DSCN5525 copy.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back