• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone know much about the story and the car.

i think ? they are referring to a famous story of a hemi car racing some chevy down in nyc,way bitd.
i vaguely recall it,and it Was a great story.
it was printed in one of the magazines,long time ago.

that vid tho,is nothing more than a bunch of clips thrown together.

i think ? they are referring to a famous story of a hemi car racing some chevy down in nyc,way bitd.
i vaguely recall it,and it Was a great story.
it was printed in one of the magazines,long time ago.

that vid tho,is nothing more than a bunch of clips thrown together.
I’ll have to try and find that magazine if possible.

Race was on the South Conduit near JFK airport. I think the $ amount was exaggerated over the years, but it was big money for that time. There were a lot of side bets. We used to go down there all the time. I think this article has some info on it. Brooklyn, NY Infamous Street Racers Back in the Day and this Drag Racing Stories
Correct.
The race was between a real '68 Hemi Dart belonging to my local speed shop and an ace with a Dickie Harrell prepped ZL1 Camaro. Pot was more or less $125K for a total of $250K with or without side bets. I know and knew some of the players and witnesses to the race. Epic. I myself have witnessed big stakes $$ races here in NYC on the low end for as much as 80K.
Like they say: "We don't run for the pinks of a slow car that we can beat, we want your green wallet"

Correct.
The race was between a real '68 Hemi Dart belonging to my local speed shop and an ace with a Dickie Harrell prepped ZL1 Camaro. Pot was more or less $125K for a total of $250K with or without side bets. I know and knew some of the players and witnesses to the race. Epic. I myself have witnessed big stakes $$ races here in NYC on the low end for as much as 80K.
Like they say: "We don't run for the pinks of a slow car that we can beat, we want your green wallet"
wow that's some serious pocket/wallet change :lol:

wow that's some serious pocket/wallet change :lol:
Yeah, a lot of folks lost their bottom dollars out there.
I know of a certain Hemi Satellite here in Brooklyn that was more actively testing at the track than racing on the street.
Why? Probably had one of the first rollerized transmissions on the market.
After some good passes under the No/Time post, he would then go out looking for the bets. He would not open the hood or run for less than $5000. Most cats had a clue from his 6 foot high wheel stands while clearing the 60 ft clocks with the rear wheels. It was a true single digit car.
I pass by the old Mutt gas station/garage almost every day without ever missing a glance.

I don’t think a lot people understand just how much money was floating around Brooklyn and those areas back in the day. Some of those bets was just pocket change for most even in the 60 and 70,s. Most of us broke poor hillbillies just can’t comprehend it. Hell look at what Al Capone was worth.

I don’t think a lot people understand just how much money was floating around Brooklyn and those areas back in the day. Some of those bets was just pocket change for most even in the 60 and 70,s. Most of us broke poor hillbillies just can’t comprehend it. Hell look at what Al Capone was worth.
............................and Al Capone was by chance born in Brooklyn. I'll bet that he participated in a few runs with a 1941 Willy's coupe. LOL.

Since I know some of the guys who were present or part of the Mutt team itself, there's a few tiny holes in the story. Both cars were stick.
Presumably, the Camaro was a tad faster 9.90's or something close and the Dart at 10.0hs or so, but it was a drivers era and questionable experience behind a hard charging stick that cost the Bowtie team their Tuxedos. The Dart's driver was a seasoned three pedal hustler and came around him with both a Hemi top end charge with some shifting prowess.

The entire length of the highway was china rock concrete for many years, so bite was good if you knew how to finesse the burnout rituals.

Auto Transport Service
Back