• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone make the plastic vapor barrier for the doors on 73/74 RR or Sat?

idrivemopar

Local time
8:25 AM
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone makes the replacement clear plastic vapor barrier for the doors on a 73/74 RR or Sat?

If not, does anyone have a picture of a door with it still attached so i can see where the stripe caulk goes to know how to make new ones?

Thanks!

REM does not make vapor barriers or as they call them water jackets fir the 73/74. They said they would like to, but need originals to make new templates. So, back to my question does anyone have a picture of a door with the plastic still attached and intact? I would like to use as a reference to make new ones for my car.

Why not trace the pannel on vapor barrier and use that black mastic goo, or whatever it's called, and call it done? No one will see it... Or silicone.

There is some silicone in the stripping thread. Lol silicone works wonders.

Let me clarify, yes, i know how to make a new vapor barier, and i have the strip caulk to attach it, i need to see an existing one as i would like a visual reference as to where the edges are, and the shape of the plastic and the location of the strip caulk. This is why i would like to see a picture of a door with the plastic still in place if anyone has one.

I make my own out of 3-4 mil plastic

Lowes has the same kind of plastic and cheap. Need to either have an original piece to go by or simply put some on using 2 sided tape and trim where needed.

For ’72 anyway, no strip caulk on the doors, a brush applied contact adhesive was used originally. The quarters have a strip caulk like material holding the vapor barrier in place. I reassemble with new material and strip caulk in the rears and normally used spay adhesive for the doors. On my recent RR/GTX resto, I had some BMW self-adhesive, heat shrinkable vapor barrier, left over from a previous project, I used for the doors.
DSC00255r-1.jpg

DSC00213r-1.jpg

Thanks! That is a tremendous help to see the marks where the contact adhesive goes, roughly! I had the barrier still in tact for the rear panels, so i am good to go there. Anyone else with any pictures!

Auto Transport Service
Back