• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this look shady to you?

Lt Shaffer

Local time
10:50 AM
Reaction score
image.jpeg

Yep wrong rivets bet it doesn't match the body numbers

Bingo, waiting on reply from the seller on the body numbers. Vinyl top, chrome drip rails & wheel well arch's say RP to me. Oh and the fender tag was lost in the mail from previous owner. Vinyl topped 73's are very rare.

Check those last 6 sequence numbers against rad support and left trunk weatherstrip rail numbers. If they match the vin then the vin belongs to that car. Just change the rivets out $25 a pair. If the vin doesnt match those other sets of numbers then walk away from it. Rare vinyl top or not. The trunk weather strip is glued over the stamped in numbers, and the yellow antifreeze info tag covers those numbers stamped on the rad support. They did this for theft reasons starting in 1969. Just an FYI it looks like that vin tag was pried on as well as the incorrect rivets. Tread carefully.

Hope this helps
Matt

Bingo, waiting on reply from the seller on the body numbers. Vinyl top, chrome drip rails & wheel well arch's say RP to me. Oh and the fender tag was lost in the mail from previous owner. Vinyl topped 73's are very rare.
Fender tag lost in the mail? That happened to me, I was suppose to get a million dollar check!

surely wrong rivets , you can get right ones from ECS . won't find numbers on trunk rail( there are none ) ,they are on the cowl slightly to the right of the brake booster under cowl seal
twocents.gif

243066-9c41b56278dfb6a1c44b7afba35d8df8.jpg

STRIKE 1, wrong rivets as stated. Trying to be optimistic but with the wrong rivets, usually isn't going to turn out good.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Run away is correct if the numbers don't match I'm out. I sent a long email to the fellow selling it yesterday with no reply as yet. He bought it off eBay about nine years ago. Looked real nice exterior wise at the time. Lots of mismatched interior colors though.

It is hard to tell what these cars go through in their life. Some people, (myself included) are not hung up on if things are changed on a car, and do not car if it has an incorrect radiator or this or that. However, if he is selling it as one thing and there is nothing to back that up, then that is a different case. Things do get lost, sellers find things like fender tags that were put away for safe keeping after the car is sold, but the rivets are shady and if there is no other documentation, you have to go on what is really there and what you are really wanting. There are radiator support numbers also, usually upside down that should match the cowl numbers, and maybe a door decal on the driver's side. Those can be reproduced though, but given the looks of the interior, probably did not go to the work to fake that if it really is a rebody/fake.

Not uncommon to pull the VIN while repainting the dash just sloppy to not get the right rivers. Hope the body #s match.

If all the body numbers match the vin, then just R and R the rivets. Theres a guy who sells the rivets, and a dry transfer that says chrysler corp with a pentastar. You can restore the vin tag and reinstall it with correct 1/8" rivets. Hopefully they didnt ream the holes oversized in the dash and plate up to a larger size. I mean dayum at the very least they could have painted the effing rivets black with a Qtip. If the holes are oversized you can use a washer underneath the dash with an 1/8" hole to back up the rivet. You will need long arms and a helper to do this though lol.

image.jpeg
I really hope it matches. The car I really want is from my teenage years and the fellow that has it won't sell. It just sits out in the snow and rots, it's probably to far gone now, but I still want it. I offered stupid money years ago when it was saveable but no luck. He can't afford to fix it but has hopes of fixing it someday. I understand his attachment but it's just frustrating.

View attachment 425818 I really hope it matches. The car I really want is from my teenage years and the fellow that has it won't sell. It just sits out in the snow and rots, it's probably to far gone now, but I still want it. I offered stupid money years ago when it was saveable but no luck. He can't afford to fix it but has hopes of fixing it someday. I understand his attachment but it's just frustrating.

I hear ya on the whole gonna fix it up someday. Some people have champaign and caviar dreams on a chicken nugget and supersize coke budget. I went to look at a 69 cuda gran coupe notchback thats got a solid shell, but all the glass is shot out of it, needs doors, nose, hood, decklid and 1 quarter skin. I have a 69 notchback ex racecar thats been tubbed with alum wheel tubs in the 80s. I got this car as a future project with my son.

This guy puts this farm field cadaver 69 notchback up for sale on craigslist as a make offer or it gets scrapped. I want it for its solid unmodified shell, as i have the rest of the parts including glass off the 69 ex drag car i got, and i I can get a title for this car with a bond on it no prob. I offer $500 cash. He says he would like $1,500.

I'm thinking $500 or scrap metal. In my mind i'm saying take the $500 dude. Then he tells me a guy is driving in from Lubbock with a trailer to give him $800 cash for it. I nicely tell him. I got a truck and trailer here and now and $500 in my pocket, but if you got a definite $800 coming, then id wait for the more money offer if i were you. I get in my truck and leave.

3 weeks later i take a drive by. Car is still in corner of his field. Hasnt moved. So i stop, and ask about trailer guy from Lubbock. He says guy never showed. I'm thinking probably because there never was anybody else. Total bluff. I gave him an old classic industries catalog i had, and told him about FABO. I threw out the costs of the parts he will need.

Trying to get him to understand that he will likely end up putting $20K or more into a vehicle worth maybe $12K and thats if he doesnt butcher it up trying to redo it. He wanted to drop a 440 in it. People sometimes do the dumbest **** to these cars.

Last edited:
The guy selling this car is having trouble getting rid of it by the sounds of things.

Imagine the difficulty you will have selling it later on when you have tired of it. Then have a think about if you really want to get involved with this car. Just another way of looking at the situation. :)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Well,it looks like the cowl number matches. I would have guessed it wouldn't. Last digit is hard to read but it looks like a nine. Why on earth would someone pull off the tag unless they were doing some painting which this car hasn't had.

Why on earth would someone pull off the tag unless they were doing some painting which this car hasn't had.
Probably had intentions or repainting the VIN tag and dash, and lost interest. Or removed it for 'security and safety' reasons. Either way, it's sloppy to just use regular rivets to re-attach it.

Auto Transport Service
Back