• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DOGS

My wife and I have had Shepherds in the past, we love animals and get quite attached. Having lost our last two girls (both at 15 years old), we had decided to take a break from dog ownership and enjoy the freedom of extra time for awhile.

This is Charly. He just turned one on February 1st. Nobody told HIM of our decision.

Charly is a Golden Retriever that comes from an awful situation. Charly's life consisted of a crate that he had to be in when indoors. The plastic crate was too small, he had to curl up to be in it. No room to stand.

Otherwise, during the day, he was left outside by himself. That was his life.

My wife's friend lived right next door to this household, therefore my wife was aware of the situation and felt so bad for the dog, who had been treated this way since he was a small puppy. Whenever my wife visited this friend, she would visit with the dog (through the fence) wishing she could take him home with her. I kept reminding her that we finally had some free time (foolish me).

Well, just over a month ago, the dog's owner told our friend that she was getting rid of the dog. Immediately, we were contacted, of course. Knowing the neglect (no socialization, training or attention) in Charly's life up to this point, this was no easy decision for us. Our previous dogs came from bad situations, so we knew this would be tough.

We took the challenge and picked up Charly about a month ago (so much for the break!). Charly had no toys and had never seen or been on a leash. We attempted the leash anyway, he just cowered in fear. Okay, we'll wait on the leash. It was interesting loading him up in our minivan. The owner gave us the remainder of his dog food and some Milk Bones. That's all Charly had. Since Charly was never neutered, we think that the owner's original idea was to breed.

Once home, we realized that, in addition to the leash problem, Charly had never seen or experienced stairs! It took about a day and a half to convince him to try that one. Now he loves to go up and down them!

Because of the lack of attention in his past, when either of us try to walk away from him, he will bite and clamp down on our clothing or us! The more we try to train him on this, the more forceful he gets. We know that craving attention is the cause, so we are working on that. Even when he is resting, he tries to keep a paw on you to know you're there. So far, he will not go outside unless one of us accompanies him. He doesn't want to be left out alone.

We have a LONG journey ahead, but he absolutely loves it here already!

I'm very sorry to be so wordy.

Tom (Rebellion)

View attachment 1427213

View attachment 1427214
Charly is a very lucky dog. And a good looking dog at that. You and your wife are good people. You won’t regret it.

Charles Cook -

I never thought that my wife would endure that many bruises and still smile.

Thanks!

That dog deserves a good home. Congratulations to you both, for finding each other. He's still almost a puppy, see if you can still give him a happy childhood.

33 IMP -

Believe me, he will be spoiled from here on. Every pup that has ever been here is/was!

Best to you!

My wife and I have had Shepherds in the past, we love animals and get quite attached. Having lost our last two girls (both at 15 years old), we had decided to take a break from dog ownership and enjoy the freedom of extra time for awhile.

This is Charly. He just turned one on February 1st. Nobody told HIM of our decision.

Charly is a Golden Retriever that comes from an awful situation. Charly's life consisted of a crate that he had to be in when indoors. The plastic crate was too small, he had to curl up to be in it. No room to stand.

My wife's friend lived right next door to this household, therefore my wife was aware of the situation and felt so bad for the dog, who had been treated this way since he was a small puppy. Whenever my wife visited this friend, she would visit with the dog (through the fence) wishing she could take him home with her. I kept reminding her that we finally had some free time (foolish me).

Well, just over a month ago, the dog's owner told our friend that she was getting rid of the dog. Immediately, we were contacted, of course. Knowing the neglect (no socialization, training or attention) in Charly's life up to this point, this was no easy decision for us. Our previous dogs came from bad situations, so we knew this would be tough.

We took the challenge and picked up Charly about a month ago (so much for the break!). Charly had no toys and had never seen or been on a leash. We attempted the leash anyway, he just cowered in fear. Okay, we'll wait on the leash. It was interesting loading him up in our minivan. The owner gave us the remainder of his dog food and some Milk Bones. That's all Charly had. Since Charly was never neutered, we think that the owner's original idea was to breed.

Once home, we realized that, in addition to the leash problem, Charly had never seen or experienced stairs! It took about a day and a half to convince him to try that one. Now he loves to go up and down them!

Because of the lack of attention in his past, when either of us try to walk away from him, he will bite and clamp down on our clothing or us! The more we try to train him on this, the more forceful he gets. We know that craving attention is the cause, so we are working on that. Even when he is resting, he tries to keep a paw on you to know you're there. So far, he will not go outside unless one of us accompanies him. He doesn't want to be left out alone.

Tom (Rebellion)

View attachment 1427213

View attachment 1427214
Bless you all and your new dog!
May God continue to intercede and bless you all exceedingly abundantly!

Rebellion, we had a rescue with similar issues. Neko. He showed up one hot summer right after a fighting ring was busted. We figured he got used as a bait dog. Not even a year old and he had physical scars and mental ones. The mental were a constant challenge everyday. He was never aggressive, would even run away from Poodles because he figured he would get his butt kicked. He had never been inside a house, didn't know how to play, had digestive issues[ never went away] and on and on. Every day was a new day for him. Lucky for him we had Cocoa, his crutch/rock/help etc. Lost them both 2/21/21. They were a great team.

62856043526__FBEBBED9-C657-4C05-81A8-68149E0D9250.jpeg

IMG_0743.jpeg

59303890697__3A5C86AD-EF06-4324-B1A9-6DDCFB2F9523.jpeg

ckessel -

They look like they were a great team! Made me smile. I'm so sorry for your loss, but from what I see, they had a great life!

BTW, Charly wasn't familiar with play either. It took me awhile to get him to understand tug of war with toys. I had to put the toy in his mouth and then act like I was trying to take it. He finally got it, and now tries to pull me around!

Tom (Rebellion)

Tom (Rebellion)

View attachment 1427213

View attachment 1427214
What a wonderful thing you have done! When people treat pets like that it is despicable. Had a friend that made a statement many years ago. It was about sexual deviants .
Put laces through their eyelids, hang them and then beat them in the balls until their eyelids blink.

440 4 speed -

Totally agree with you (after I finished laughing).

Cheers!

When you get a special needs furry buddy, you are both being tested. Our test was to have the patience, endless love for him and to always let him know nothing was going to harm him. Tight spaces, loud noises like fireworks/guns etc. Even just the wind making noise on something loose would get him worried. He would look to his big sis or us to see if all was ok. His digestive issues got better but never went away. He could not handle Rice, Chicken or any Dairy. It was like throwing gas into a fire. Look out! That would get multiplied if he got scared as his butt would get puckered up until he couldn't hold it anymore, then it was get out of the way. His digestive issues is how we found out about the documentary " Pet Fooled" which was on Netflix but now is on YouTube. On that show, the two main vets feed their kids raw food from Darwins. They got put on that and pretty much food issues went away. It's species specific. Have it for dogs and cats. I think we are on 10 years plus with them. Neko was pretty funny without trying. The first time he farted he got mortified and embarrassed. Did I just do that? OMG? Many laughs from that. The first time he barked it was similar. Was that me? Had a burly Mike Tyson bark voice.
He was our toughest rescue to deal with by far. We had a couple of others before him with issues but learning from them got us ready for him. The current pair are trouble free so far which is a nice break. You can't give up on Charlie. It just takes time, patience, love and him knowing you'll go John Wick on anyone who messes with him. All of our kids know we'll protect them the same. One Coyote learned that some years ago when I found out from a neighbor about it getting into our backyard hoping to snack on one of both cats. When he got in it was an immediate reversal when it found out the cats had dog backup protection. 5 days later the Wiley one got a .22 round in the head when I was waiting for him to try a repeat performance.
While I'm thinking of it for you or any others reading this. If you have a pooch that gets scared from fireworks, thunder etc, on your phone/tv/laptop etc pull up "Huskies howling" on Youtube. Tried that on Neko since once when he got wigged as it was too late for doggie downers. Snapped him right out of the wigging and he would chime in too.

If you have a pooch that gets scared from fireworks, thunder etc, on your phone/tv/laptop etc pull up "Huskies howling" on Youtube. Tried that on Neko since once when he got wigged as it was too late for doggie downers. Snapped him right out of the wigging and he would chime in too.
Bless you @ckessel you may not know how much that means to me!
Even with a lifetime of being close to the dogs I've had like they were my siblings or children, even being a Dog Trainer at Petco for a few years, the techniques for desensitization that I know haven't worked well for me and I suffer so badly when I have dogs who fear thunder/pressure drops.
Even if the tranquilizers were fast acting, there isn't always someone home to administer them for a summer storm and I won't drug my dog daily. I've had 3 dogs out of 7 with this problem, 2 have crossed the Rainbow Bridge, but my baby Laney, found as a wee puppy by my wife trying to cross Tulane Avenue by Claiborne in the heart of downtown New Orleans, she's still with us and I will try this. I just dosed her tonight before bed thinking we would get severe weather overnight.
Here's my precious "Street Hound" whose genetics gave her the perfect way to get a forever home within an hour of my wife bringing her home-I thought she was a black Lab, but she'll always look like a Lab puppy!
Screenshot_20230303_014228_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230303_014258_Gallery.jpg

ckessel -

Thank you for the info! There will be no giving up on Charly, he's found his home, no matter how hard it gets sometimes. The dogs, all Shepherd mixes, we had in the past all had issues (unfortunately one only made it to five years old...tumor) but they had very happy and loved lives. He will too.

Issues aside, he loves snuggling up to us already, in fact I have half of a dog on me as I attempt to type this!

I admire and appreciate all that you've gone through for your pups.

This is my dog with issues, in a very rare pose, with an ear up. He almost never has one up, and i have never seen two. He's deaf .
We are both learning to communicate with each other, and I have a good book on deaf dogs.

20220825_164645.jpg

Very comendable action on your part Rebellion !
We just lost 2 of our 3 dogs...32 days apart. Its been very difficult.
The other day we found a pup that needs help. He was a stray. Running the streets of downtown at only 7 months old.
We took our remaining puppy, 14 month old Tilly to meet him. They got along great....thankfully. we have no idea of what we are getting, but we have been here once before. We could never give up on a dog. Once they get here they are ours...for better or worse. We pick him up today !
Tilly was kind of down after loosing her pack. Now she will have something she hasnt had, a play friend. Our other boys were too old to play so she lost out on that, but Boomer should be able to provide her with plenty to do.

Very comendable action on your part Rebellion !
We just lost 2 of our 3 dogs...32 days apart. Its been very difficult.
The other day we found a pup that needs help. He was a stray. Running the streets of downtown at only 7 months old.
We took our remaining puppy, 14 month old Tilly to meet him. They got along great....thankfully. we have no idea of what we are getting, but we have been here once before. We could never give up on a dog. Once they get here they are ours...for better or worse. We pick him up today !
Tilly was kind of down after loosing her pack. Now she will have something she hasnt had, a play friend. Our other boys were too old to play so she lost out on that, but Boomer should be able to provide her with plenty to do.
Good job Matt, they say things happen for a reason. Well this may be the reason. Enjoy your new addition.

Skytrooper -

I love this! After losing family members, which is SO hard, you sought to change the lives of two others. Awesome!

Charly is getting a little better day by day. He's a handful, but he's really happy here.

Thanks for the smile.

Rebellion (Tom)

Auto Transport Service
Back