• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DOGS

I know all our dogs are a source of entertainment at times. The weather was nice yesterday so I took both Newfs out with me in the old Ford F-150. When they are sitting on that bench seat they are really tall. Three people commented that it looked like I had bears in the truck. I'm used to this and my back window sticker says. RELAX They Are Newfies NOT Frick'n Bears.

This morning Diesel was climbing up on my bed. Most dogs would jump or at least have a modified jump. He climbs and claws his way up, all the time making bear groaning/growling noises. Picture a large bear climbing over a fallen tree or large rock. He makes the same sounds as he's fixing to lie down. My daughter is a vet nurse and a client asked if Newfoundlands are supposed to make all this noise just to lie down. Yes, it's normal.

Last edited:
if
I've been looking for a dog, and I want certain breed. I've run across a young adult female, and I think she might have potential. She went through something traumatic and it's made her timid. The risk with it is fear aggression. My first was a one-year-old rescue who was timid. The breed is easy to train, but it's also easy to damage with harsh treatment. All that to say, would you guys look at this correspondence I got and offer opinions or advice? She would be my only dog and I wouldn't be getting another until she was better. I know she will be shy in some situations for the rest of her life.

Hi Sam
She is very sweet. I got her from Denmark when she was a puppy. I shipped her back to Denmark last year to be bred and when she got their she was very unhappy and didn't trust people no more. She came home here and she is not the same. She is just a little scar of people. I have been working on her and had a lot of people come over to love her and she is much better. I think she just need time to come back to herself. I just don't know what happen but she is not to same as she was when she left here.
She is very loving and sweet to all people. She don't have a mean bone in her body!

View attachment 1447721
If I had room, and didn't already have four shepherds, I would adopt her in a heartbeat. She wouldn't need to love strangers, only me and my family.
It would certainly be reciprocal .

It's hard to believe that somebody would give up a dog, but then again she is a breeder so she has an endless supply if she wants. Kind of like us with our cars. None are for sale, but to the right home, maybe. I will spoil the **** out of any dog I get. Dairy Queen ice cream, Mountain lakes, prairie grasslands, and if she likes the dog park, we'll go there just as often as she wants. I can work out of my truck at the dog park so we can stay as long as she wants too.

I'm confident I can fix a timid dog, but she won't be a homebody, so I can't have aggression. Aggression in these dogs is very rare and a major fault in the show ring. Even the Malinois' with their cop dog reputation see personal protection as a game, and the Belgians love games. When treated harshly, timidity is the usual outcome if any. Time and never being beat again will fix her.

Screenshot 2023-04-11 at 4.59.41 PM.png

It's hard to believe that somebody would give up a dog, but then again she is a breeder so she has an endless supply if she wants. Kind of like us with our cars. None are for sale, but to the right home, maybe. I will spoil the **** out of any dog I get. Dairy Queen ice cream, Mountain lakes, prairie grasslands, and if she likes the dog park, we'll go there just as often as she wants. I can work out of my truck at the dog park so we can stay as long as she wants too.

I'm confident I can fix a timid dog, but she won't be a homebody, so I can't have aggression. Aggression in these dogs is very rare and a major fault in the show ring. Even the Malinois' with their cop dog reputation see personal protection as a game, and the Belgians love games. When treated harshly, timidity is the usual outcome if any. Time and never being beat again will fix her.

View attachment 1448548
If you get her Sam, we'll need lots and LOTS of pictures!!!

This is for everyone here. As you know my daughter is a vet nurse. She was specializing in allergies but she switched to a hospital where she will specials in pregnancies, birthing, and puppies. She had no idea this discipline was so vast. There's a name for it but it's about 5 syllables and I forget it. Anyway, bring me your questions I'll try to get them answered.

I went and looked up that discipline in vet medicine. Theriogenology. Seven syllables.

****. I was looking at breeders in Colorado for a young adult and somehow found one in California. Instead of 500 miles, she is 1,500. I can't drive it right now and that dog should not be put on a plane ever again, that would be cruel.

If anybody in California or thereabouts who loves dogs and has kids or grandkids who have never seen Mt. Rushmore, it's a good time time of year. Rates haven't been jacked up yet and there are no crowds at the tourist traps. Fair warning: the chicken who plays tic-tac-toe for money is a cheating bastard and the cops won't do a thing about it.

I'll pay the fuel bill

Togy Biscuits in full attack mode. I'm looking forward to getting home tomorrow from Pensacola. Been away from my honey and kids for 2 weeks. Miss them all something fierce.

IMG_0653.jpeg

440+6, that's a funny picture. Our Newf, Little Bear loves this one old leather loveseat. Since we were having company for Easter I took a scrub brush and soap and water to it. I also placed the pillows back in the corners. Later she had all the pillows pushed off except one. That one she was using for her head just like a human. Just like your dog.

A couple of dog stories today. I had the Newfoundlands with me in the truck and it was such a nice day I had the windows down. Diesel had his head out the window at a stop light. Then I hear a commotion. The SUV next to me was full of teens and they were all talking to the dogs, waving, and taking pictures. As I've said Diesel's head goes all the way to the headliner when he's sitting in the truck.

My daughter sent me a video of a dog that was training in the big indoor training area of their hospital. It was an attack dog and at a full run, it jumped over a barrier and hit the guy in the bite suit on the legs at what looked 30mph. I wish I knew how to post it here.

Little boy will soon be losing all that room to stretch out on the couch. Heading home later today from Pensacola.

IMG_0658.jpeg

We've had Mishka for 2 years, now. [9 when rescued] We've rescued Huskies for 35 years, and never had a more stubborn one. However... she's super smart, funny, and a Daddy's-Girl. I love her so much. She's an idiot. LOL

Mishka muddy 3-31-2023.jpg

Mishka silly 10-2022.jpg

Mishka at vet 5-12-22 great hips.jpg

Waiting for me to come home...
Mishka waiting for dad.jpg

Water bowl, what's that? I get barked at if a toilet isn't available. Newfoundlands like water so much that they will get into any other type of water bowl.

We have a baby pool at the ranch and they will swim all the water out of it.

I had a cat that went for a ride in the dryer once
As soon as you opened up the dryer she would jump in and get any dryer sheets in the load. Take them to her bedroom and get under the bed and rip them into pieces. Walk away and wait for the next load. LOL

Auto Transport Service
Back