• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Don's 1969 Charger Restoration

Great job as usual Don! Your thread inspired me to go in as deep as I did on my car!
Oooo sorry??

Well done Don!
Thanks

Very nice work!
Thank you sir!

Holy smokes Don. And I thought I was being **** when I put my cars together, but you are kicking my butt. Pretty low percentage of these cars driving around with the insides of their doors as nice as yours. Big thumbs up to you :thumbsup:.
Thanks Joel! I sure miss reading and getting inspired by your thread (I still refer to it from time to time)

Thanks Don...... I still am planning to visit you, maybe when I do you can show me your car?

Thanks for the pictures! Know I know where the brackets go!
Glad to help!

Those door repairs look great! I did the same on mine, had to patch the front and rear lower corners and a few weatherstrip holes. Much cheaper than skins and I actually enjoyed doing it. You're making nice headway, keep it up.

My door skins came in

P1100059.JPG

P1100060.JPG

I removed these brackets from the top window edge of the old door skins

P1100064.JPG

P1100065.JPG

P1100085.JPG

Those door repairs look great! I did the same on mine, had to patch the front and rear lower corners and a few weatherstrip holes. Much cheaper than skins and I actually enjoyed doing it. You're making nice headway, keep it up.
Thanks threewood!

I need a right and left set of those if you have any junk doors hanging around
eldubb440 let me check this weekend and if I don't get back to you send me a reminder

Great project very nice work will definitely be watching this build good luck

So once I got them were I liked them I welded them in.
(I had to assemble the glass and vent wing to make sure they were in position)

P1170039.JPG

P1170038.JPG

Then I punched some holes in around the perimeter of the door skin (for plug welding)

P1170041.JPG

Next I installed the sound deadening pads

P1190045.JPG

P1190047.JPG

And then I installed the skin, bending over the lip.
I used a hammer and dolly, and a hockey puck for a dolly. I was very careful bending a little at a time. Checking my progress along the bottom with a straight edge. (level)

P1200066.JPG

P1200067.JPG

P1200068.JPG

P1200069.JPG

P1200074.JPG

P1200075.JPG

I will hold off on welding the door skin until I get all of the panels on and fitted. This will give me a little bit of adjustment with the skin.
It all turned out very well!

P1200070.JPG

Great stuff Don! I was just going to say.. leave it loose until you can line up the "line" with quarter and fender!

Great stuff Don! I was just going to say.. leave it loose until you can line up the "line" with quarter and fender!

Thank you sir. Some one else gave me that advise. So that's what I did.

Looking great Don! Must feel really
Good to be looking at a almost
Comeplete body. I have been really slacking on mine the last year. Keep up the great work!

Looking great Don! Must feel really
Good to be looking at a almost
Comeplete body. I have been really slacking on mine the last year. Keep up the great work!
Hey thanks Pat, It does feel good to look at it and it appears to be a full body.
In reality it is far from it. The good news is winter is over and I can get back to fitting the body panels!

Looking good Don. After I get my trunk lid back together I'm going to pull the skins off of my doors to clean inside of the folds and reinstall them as well as pull the headlight buckets out of the fenders. Your pics of the process will help me with that as not many people do it or if they do they don't document it.

Update-
I layed out my steering column parts to reassemble.
note: I used this article to help me in reassembly
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/...-restoration-turn-signal-switch-installation/

PC280007.JPG

I then inserted the tube into the column and slid the spring over the end

PC280008.JPG

next I slid the lower bearing on and bolted it up

PC280009.JPG

PC280011.JPG

Next I inserted the shaft. Don't do it like I did or you will have to unbolt the lower bearing and slide it over the shaft and then re-bolt it to the column (because of the drive dogs on the shaft)

PC280012.JPG

Now on this side of the column is most of the work

PC280013.JPG

First the lower collar goes on

PC280014.JPG

then the upper

PC280016.JPG

here are the parts we need to assemble

PC280017.JPG

start with the c-clip (this helps to prevent the upper bearing from going to far)

PC280018.JPG

Last edited:
next on is the upper bearing. (I applied a light coat of grease to help it slide)

PC280019.JPG

next I carefully tapped the bearing into place.
In this pic I used the old bearing against the new bearing along with a deep well socket, this way I was pushing on the inner race.

PC280020.JPG

next is the upper retaining clip

PC280021.JPG

PC280022.JPG

PC280023.JPG

then the bearing insulator goes on over the bearing

PC300025.JPG

next is the hardest part! bolting the collars together. This may take a lot of trial and error to get it right

PC300026.JPG

then the turn signal switch goes in held by the retainer

PC300028.JPG

next I put the wire cover on

PC300029.JPG

and the lower black plastic cover

PC300030.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back