• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Don's 1969 Charger Restoration

Thanks chris!

Hi ya kid, you mean you tore your fenders apart and fixed them to? Let me guess your car is from the rust belt!

Mine were not as bad as yours but I did a bit of similar patching on them. My car sat in a field under a pecan tree for 25+ years in north Mississippi., not sure if that is in the rust belt.

Ok these next few pics are gonna be a little out of sequence, but for now we will stay with the pass side fender.
I welded in the headlight buckets (pilot alignment holes used) and the inner lip of the fender. (Sorry I didnt get enough pics of this) I will show a few more pics of the inner lip on the drivers side
P8040014.JPG

P8040018.JPG

P8040019.JPG

P8040020.JPG

P8040021.JPG

P8040022.JPG

P8040024.JPG
P8040015.JPG

the face of the fender painted looks like you just pulled it out of the box. looks great, and original mopar metal

As promised here are some pics of the driver side showing how I did that inner lip.

So here you can see I used those alignment holes and screws to hold the bucket and inner lip patch. I did check the shape with my profile templates (which was good)

P8040025.JPG

P8040026.JPG

So I took it apart and prepped the metal for welding and tacked it together
P8050028.JPG

P8050030.JPG

added these two wings to make it like it was originally
P8050032.JPG

P8050033.JPG

P8050034.JPG

P8060035.JPG

That is looking first rate! Great metal work going on here. Almost makes me want to start another project car lol.

Thanks Don, It's a LOT cheaper than out of the box fenders! (I work cheap) (FOR MYSELF)
i know that very well i have yet to be paid a dime, yet. car looks like a car again, and a whole lot straighter and cleaner, great work. its amazing how much you have done to it. keep it up I can't wait to see it in primer.

Sarge! so how is it going, Have I caught up to you yet?
Damn you are doing some great metal work Don:thumbsup:

VERY very nicely done....mad skills you have!

I am impressed

Justin
Thanks Justin, I am just following your lead

i know that very well i have yet to be paid a dime, yet. car looks like a car again, and a whole lot straighter and cleaner, great work. its amazing how much you have done to it. keep it up I can't wait to see it in primer.
Hi Don, Straighter and clean as new is the goal.

Nice to see you and your nice metal working skills - and you're still at it ! ! ! Keep up the great work Don ! ! !

Don, I've always been impressed with your work. I just wanted to point out to everyone again what you have accomplished. Here is one of the progress pictures from the start and now.
Before
p1010052-jpg.jpg

After,
p8060046-jpg.jpg

Nice to see you and your nice metal working skills - and you're still at it ! ! ! Keep up the great work Don ! ! !
Hi Larry, yes sir I am still at it!
Don, I've always been impressed with your work. I just wanted to point out to everyone again what you have accomplished. Here is one of the progress pictures from the start and now.
Before
View attachment 566770
After,
View attachment 566771
Showard, Thanks for the compliment.
WOW now that brings back a few memory's (like WHAT WAS I THINKING? and this guy is INSANE) :screwy:

Looking great as usual Don. Been the best part of a year since I worked on mine (young families are busy ones). I am right there with you in the "what was/am
I thinking" department.

IMG_2832.JPG

Don you are doing great! I might have to stop working on our house and restart working on the car so you don't catch me. :) Are you headed to Indy next month? I'll be going.

However if you are looking for something else to occupy your time, check this one out. It's right up your alley!

charger.JPG

Don you are doing great! I might have to stop working on our house and restart working on the car so you don't catch me. :) Are you headed to Indy next month? I'll be going.

However if you are looking for something else to occupy your time, check this one out. It's right up your alley!

View attachment 569820
Hi SGT, Yup been there. I purposely delayed restoring the Charger for 2 years to knock a couple things off of the "honey do list". It's lasted this long (5years) but she wants a farm table and benches big enough for the entire family to gather around. So I will be starting that in the next few months.
Indy next month, hmmmm I do need a few things... And thanks for thinking of me for another project but............. NO

SO time for an update!

The last thing on the list before I can start welding everything is the doors.
I have 3 sets of doors, so you would think I could get one decent set? AH NO!
I will not bore you with a bunch of pics but I ended up taking every door apart and de-skining each one looking for something to use. I ended up buying AMD door skins and picking the best inner doors I could. Unfortunately they needed patching.
SO HERE WE GO AGAIN
Both inner's need new metal along the bottom, so I bent some strips up and went to work.

PB250191.JPG

PB250195.JPG

PB260199.JPG

PB260200.JPG

PB260201.JPG

PB280206.JPG

PB280209.JPG

PB300214.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back