• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Don't buy that cheap Chicom lift

Dad, with my depth perception, I'd have a pool noodle hanging from the ceiling to protect that wing!
LOL.. you can watch the shadow on the ceiling !! Next up I'll be cutting a rectangular box in the ceiling. I still have 9" above the car, 2" above the wing. I can just get the Bee under right now with a 1/2" to spare, but 9" would be so much nicer. Almost think I planned for this day running the trusses the long way across the shop! My ceiling is 10' 4" / 10' 5" by the way.

And those lift pads slide the whole length of the lift? I really like that set-up. I might have to re-think the 2 post.
It's a rolling 4500lb jack Paul. I've got it and a heavy duty jack tray that I can use a bottle jack in for now. I had ordered Two x 4500 rolling jacks on the lift I was waiting for, but maybe I don't need the other one.
4postlift 106.JPG
4postlift 135.JPG

It's a rolling 4500lb jack Paul. I've got it and a heavy duty jack tray that I can use a bottle jack in for now. I had ordered Two x 4500 rolling jacks on the lift I was waiting for, but maybe I don't need the other one.
View attachment 1061785 View attachment 1061787
That's really cool Wayne. So you can slide them and lift any part of the car, of the entire car? I am intrigued.
LOL.. you can watch the shadow on the ceiling !! Next up I'll be cutting a rectangular box in the ceiling. I still have 9" above the car, 2" above the wing. I can just get the Bee under right now with a 1/2" to spare, but 9" would be so much nicer. Almost think I planned for this day running the trusses the long way across the shop! My ceiling is 10' 4" / 10' 5" by the way.

You gave me an anxiety attack watching you raise that lift with wing that close to the ceiling!!! :wtf:

View attachment 1061785 View attachment 1061787

I have the same rolling jack setup on my Advantage Lift. Slick, I haven't come accross any maintenance task yet that it wasn't up to. But the primary mission is for stacked storage. My ceiling is 10'2". No problem with two B bodies, as long as one is not a wing car.

The China vs US made can be misleading. Even "US made" can include components manufactured in China. First lift was from an outfit in Texas, branded a Triumph. Did not have equalization cables, used a flow equalizer to keep the arms in sync. Worked for awhile, but eventually one arm started lagging the other. Contacted the company, they had to send my info to their "technicians" in China. Answer was always the same, add an external flow control, which is BS. That lift went to the steel recycler.

Next time around, went with an Atlas 8K. Couple local repair shops use them. As some have mentioned, the foundation is a key element. Had a standard garage pad, 3.5-4", likely 3000psi strength. Excavated a 3' x 3' section, 18" deep, for each post. Undercut the slab, and installed a rebar cage. Poured 4000psi concrete. Let it cure 45days. Drilled 1" holes for Wej-it Power Sert 3/4" epoxy anchors. The lift came with mechanical wedge anchors. Done correctly the epoxy anchors have much stronger pullout specs against a dynamic load. I personally wouldn't use wedge anchors as it's too easy (for me) to drill an oversize/bad hole which could compromise the wedge strength. Very happy with the Atlas.

Something to consider, if your lift doesn't have it, add a safety switch ahead of the lift pushbutton. They are cheap insurance against a stuck pushbutton.

View attachment 1060658
Even if it's a reputable brand that's made in China I still question them to an extent. Shipping and packaging becomes a priority, it seams like products start being produced in a manner that allows more parts to be bundled in smaller packages? I've noticed a huge difference in mass between mine and Chinese lifts, I've got 16" wide beams and 24" mounting pads.

Auto Transport Service
Back