• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Don't swap in a modern engine or efi for driveability

At some point, it just comes down to - simplicity.

Simple gets you point (a) to point (b).

I've come full circle on this issue. Years ago I was a big believer in EFI, and the Holley Sniper kit I purchased worked exceptionally well - when it worked, which unfortunately wasn't for very long until it had an ECU failure. After being out of this a bit, I'm either modern factory OEM EFI or a Carburetor. Nothing in-between. It took me six hours of driving & tuning to get my Wife's mild 318 LA engine to hit all the big data points we like to see (14.5 idle / 12.5 WOT / 15.0 Cruise AFR) with zero bogs or hesitations, we've been driving that truck (77' W200) for the past year to work and around town.

Items I feel must be included in a Carbureted build to solve a few failure points:

MSD Ignition Box
Modern Denso Alternator (AR Engineering)
Fuel Filters - Pre & Post Fuel Pump
Carburetor Heat Shield
Return-line (or return Vapor line) for Fuel System

Cannot compare a modern GEN III Hemi to these older B/RB/LA engines. 345 - 395 NET Horsepower for just the 5.7 Hemi over the years, to me, this is one of the best swaps to go completely OEM EFI with a Mopar engine controller to a SB 727.

Overall, there is a trade-off to both systems. For a dedicated race car, I would go with aftermarket EFI. For a street car, Carburetor (B/RB/LA) or OEM EFI (GEN III Hemi).

Last edited:
At some point, it just comes down to - simplicity.

Simple gets you point (a) to point (b).

I've come full circle on this issue. Years ago I was a big believer in EFI, and the Holley Sniper kit I purchased worked exceptionally well - when it worked, which unfortunately wasn't for very long. After being out of this a bit, I'm either modern factory OEM EFI or a Carburetor. Nothing in-between. It took me six hours of driving & tuning to get my Wife's mild 318 LA engine to hit all the big data points we like to see (14.5 idle / 12.5 WOT / 15.0 Cruise AFR) with zero bogs or hesitations, we've been driving that truck (77' W200) for the past year to work and around town.

Overall, there is a trade-off to both systems. For a dedicated race car, I would go with EFI. For a street car, Carburetor.
I am one that will always love a good tuned carb.

I’ll take a good old carter AVS versus the China made EFI, components and headaches any day.. imo
KISS!

I was looking at some of those kits and they really are cheaply made , I’m not saying all but some left me scratching my head .. why do this when a carb works just fine.

I was looking at some of those kits and they really are cheaply made , I’m not saying all but some left me scratching my head .. why do this when a carb works just fine.
A good tuned
A good tuned carb out performs efi every time.

The simple fact that with todays crappy fuel, efi/modern drive line you arent constantly pulling bowls off to clean stuck needle valves and jets ...

Last edited:
The simple fact that with todays crappy fuel, efi/modern drive line you arent constantly pulling bowls off to clean stuck needle valves and jets to clean them...
I am not willing to give up on carbs there are tons that run each day bottom line its all air fuel ratio .

Drive it like you made it.

Auto Transport Service
Back