• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door and Trunk Hinge Lubricant

1969VAGTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:16 AM
Reaction score
I have reached the point of maximum annoyance with the squeaking trunk and door hinges on my GTX. Wondering if anyone has any specific recommendations for lubricant for both? Are there different types for door hinges versus trunk hinges? I have seen white lithium grease recommended for door hinges which seems to me makes quite a mess. Appreciate any feedback or recommendations people have. Thanks.

Gibbs Lubricant Oil. Can be used as a gun oil among many other uses.

20200114_165138.jpg

I'm not a spray grease kind of guy. TriFlow works best for most hinges, locks, mechanism, etc. It does not attract dirt as easily as petroleum based lubricants. Shake it well and often to get the best product.

If I have to use grease 3M silicone paste is my favorite.

You can dab it on with a brush or something too. Even a tooth pick if your worried about splatter

I had an annoying hinge squeak on my Durango. I had an old can of STP oil treatment on my shelf. It's pretty thick, but not like grease. I dabbed a little on the problem area and worked it in........ This was probably 4 years ago, still silent

I have to grease my hinges on my ‘17 2500 Ram often… I literally just came in from doing it. I use WD40 after using white lithium grease. I keep going back n forth between the two. It’s a mess on the hinges but they are quiet AGAIN. I Think after reading this I am going to try some gun lubricant.

I have to grease my hinges on my ‘17 2500 Ram often… I literally just came in from doing it. I use WD40 after using white lithium grease. I keep going back n forth between the two. It’s a mess on the hinges but they are quiet AGAIN. I Think after reading this I am going to try some gun lubricant.
Those 2 are THE WORST things to use on door hinges.

Tri-flow is awesome. Won’t leave a mess or attract dirt and it will last a long time, won’t wash away with rain like WD40

465BBD36-41E4-4DFB-8FD9-219E0AF05B26.jpeg

Gear lube. Anything thinner don't last as long. Application of course is the issue. An old tooth brush works well.

I had an annoying hinge squeak on my Durango. I had an old can of STP oil treatment on my shelf. It's pretty thick, but not like grease. I dabbed a little on the problem area and worked it in........ This was probably 4 years ago, still silent
Man, I've used STP for all kinds of stuff but never thought about using it on hinges. It's some pretty slick stuff.

Man, I've used STP for all kinds of stuff but never thought about using it on hinges. It's some pretty slick stuff.

first time I assembled an engine, I used it for assembly lube......the engine worked well

first time I assembled an engine, I used it for assembly lube......the engine worked well
I've used it too for assembly but usually mixed in a little bit of oil so it wouldn't be so thick.

Those 2 are THE WORST things to use on door hinges.

Tri-flow is awesome. Won’t leave a mess or attract dirt and it will last a long time, won’t wash away with rain like WD40

View attachment 1518161
I don’t know how that is the “worst” to use. The dealership used mopar white lithium grease as it was under warranty when they started squeaking… so I continued the WD breaks that down a little…it’s messy but it works. I want to find something that is cleaner for sure.

Your hinges maybe just worn out at this point.
The door check roller are the first thing to seize up. The they cut through the main pivot spring every time you open & close the door. No amount of lube will cure the wear .
I recommend using dry type lubes. Teflon based if possible. Grease/oils attract dirt, debris making an abrasive paste.
Inspect your hinges closer and contact me if you have questions.
Thanks.

Spray white lithium lubricant on mechanisms is like spraying them with Elmer’s glue eventually. But most white lithium paste lubricant is another thing. I’ve tried both over the years and there is a difference. Lithium spray is banned from my garage.

But Tri Flow has become one of my favorite penetrating lubricants.

Sorry to go off topic a bit, but this convinced me of TriFlow being the best.

My neighbor across the street has a decorative miniature wind mill in their front yard. It's about 7ft tall and functions sort of like a real windmill.

It started screeching one night during brisk winds. We could hear it through closed windows.

My wife texted our neighbor and told her it was keeping us awake. My wife offered for me to lube it, but they declined and used WD40.

The screeching returned a week or so later. They used the WD40 again. That also lasted a week or so.

My neighbor joked that he was sorry about the noise and said he was going to WD40 the windmill every week or so.

I asked if he would let me try TriFlow.

I gave the two mechanism a generous flood of TriFlow and that windmill has been quiet ever since.

That was over 3 years ago!

IMG_20230831_183017333_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back