• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door Install

Ronald Weishaar

Local time
3:25 AM
Reaction score
Ready to hang my doors on a 65 Dodge Coronet 2 Dr Hardtop. I need tips on installing them by myself. I am a hobbyist with none of the fancy body shot equipment. I can see even with another person helping, it will be no easy task. All input welcomed. Thank Ron

I have a hydraulic motorcycle lift in my shop. I bought it to lift auto transmissions up to my workbench. I have found it handy to lift car doors into place to attach them. Mine was from Princess Auto here in Ontario, but I imagine Harbour Freight would have something similar. I have used it for so many other things that I think it about the best $100.00 I spent for shop tools.

Even with the jack you'll want at least one if not two helpers. If you removed the hinges you already know some of the bolts install from inside (door & kick panel trims removed) and some from outside. It's good to have one guy inside & one outside the car for install as well as final alignment. A few layers of tape on all door and adjoining panel edges should protect from nicks & scratches. Add a good dose of patience and you'll be OK.

Last edited:
Here is a reprint from the Factory Service Manual. 65 B-BODY DOOR INSTALL 1.jpg 65 B-BODY DOOR INSTALL 2.jpg 65 B-BODY DOOR INSTALL 3.jpg

Attachments

• DOOR REPLACEMENT.pdf
    869.8 KB · Views: 100
  • DOOR ALIGNMENT 1.pdf
    263.4 KB · Views: 88
Leave the door gutted. Assemble it after it's on the car.
You do not want the latch on it while adjusting it.
If all you have is a floor jack lay a foam rubber pad on it and have a extra set of hands to balance.

You may want a couple of short 3/8" studs to stab into the hinge/door as you position it. If using newly painted bolts, substitute old/extra bolts until final adjustment is complete, then replace with restored bolts. One at a time.
Mike

Leave the door gutted. Assemble it after it's on the car.
You do not want the latch on it while adjusting it.
If all you have is a floor jack lay a foam rubber pad on it and have a extra set of hands to balance.
Or make a door holder that fits on a floor jack designed after the ones you see on-line. Made mine out of 2X6s, PVC and foam padding. Works great. Still a 2 man job though.
Let me know if you're interested and I'll dig it out of the attic and take some pics.

Or make a door holder that fits on a floor jack designed after the ones you see on-line. Made mine out of 2X6s, PVC and foam padding. Works great. Still a 2 man job though.
Let me know if you're interested and I'll dig it out of the attic and take some pics.
Thanks for the offer of the pics. They may help the OP with his install.

Thanks for the offer of the pics. They may help the OP with his install.
Here you go. Cost about 1 hour of my time. All made from leftover materials laying around the shop. Not pretty but works good. The PVC flexes and squeezes just the right amount to hold the door.

IMG_2314.jpg
IMG_2315.jpg
IMG_2316.jpg
IMG_2317.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back