• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door latch problems

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:26 PM
Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the best place to post this but here it is.

Both my doors do not lock fully closed. I get the first latch up BUT not the secondary.

I have tried to adjust the body catch by moving it as far to the outside of the car as possible but still only get the initial latch.

Orher than possible hinge sag what else could be causing this and what else can I try?

Car is my 1970 Sport Satellite

Thanks for your inputs!

I'm thinking there is only one "click". Move the catch in further.

I'll retract that, there's two clicks but move it inward. Make sure the catch in the door is not loose and the bushing for the "star gear" is not worn real bad.

Last edited:
Move the catch inwards more. That was what I had to do on the Roadrunner. If you have good body lines I would not think you have sag.

Move the catch inwards more. That was what I had to do on the Roadrunner. If you have good body lines I would not think you have sag.
I have some sag and my car does as well lol

Don't we all? ! Rusty/sticking latch parts? Thank god, I've never had problems with mine,still original stuff.

I’ll have to look at the latching mechanism and try to understand how the secondary lock works or does the secondary lock take place in the gear mechanism on the door?

Pretty sure in the door.

You could loosen your top hinge bolts a little and have someone pick up on the door a little to compensate for the sag. then tighten the bolts back up.

You could loosen your top hinge bolts a little and have someone pick up on the door a little to compensate for the sag. then tighten the bolts back up.
Capital idea thanks!!

So just to complete this thread I WAS able to adjust the striker on the car jam. It wanted to be far outside and canted down just a bit. Both sides now are good. For those who search for this solution in the future here are some pointers.

1. Remove the striker and clean it well until shiny. Will not fix it but can only help, will look nice too. I used a wire wheel first.
2. The striker has both the primary stop as well as the secondary stop.
3. Make sure the spring actuated plastic catch on the door is clean and lubricated.
4. During alignment have the car’s
jam striker mounted but not tight for inital alignment (thanks to Bill and Jim for their inputs on this).
5. Fine tune the jam location and tighten it up.
6. Put a little white lithium grease on the door jam gear.
7. Do the orher door and have a beer handy for that one!

Auto Transport Service
Back