• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dot 5 mixing

What happens when you mix 3 and 5? I’ve seen people say not to for years, but never have I seen anybody explain what bad things will happen.
Dot 3 and Dot 5 don’t actually mix. They will not go into solution. They stay separate. Try this simple experiment, as I did a long, long time ago: put equal parts Dot 3 and Dot 5 into a clear container and shake it up, then observe it for months. Or years.

Dot 3 and Dot 5 don’t actually mix. They will not go into solution. They stay separate. Try this simple experiment, as I did a long, long time ago: put equal parts Dot 3 and Dot 5 into a clear container and shake it up, then observe it for months. Or years.
Yes, that true for a lot of things. We did that in school. What bad is that in a brake system?

I changed to DOT-5 3 years ago. DOT 5 wasn't as expensive as today. I used at least a bottle and a half to flush out the old DOT 3. It was just as good as the DOT-3 plus the added advantage of no paint damage.

Auto Transport Service
Back