• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dot 5 mixing

I thought newer Harleys had ABS and DOT 5?

My 2011 Sporty does NOT use DOT 5.
About 2008 they started with ABS and had to change brake fluid to DOT4. They went across the line with the change so not to confuse anyone. It's like using DEXIII in a modern electric shift auto trans. The fluid probably being too thick doesn't let the electric solenoids shift fast enough.

From what I understand, you should never use DOT 5 in a system that was designed for 3 or 4.....
I changed my '66 Austin-Healey 3000 to silicone brake fluid from DOT3 in 1989 after a new paint job. Silicone does NOT strip paint, which is the main reason I switched. After draining the DOT 3, I flushed the system with isopropyl alcohol and blew out with compressed air before installing the DOT5. I've never had a brake problem with DOT5. The main problem with DOT5 is getting it OFF the paint if you want to paint again. It's very persistent and can cause fisheyes, unless you are more persistent than it is.

After repainting 2 firewall/engine bays, I wouldn't use DOT 3 or4 in any collector car ever again. No issues with DOT 5. Who has an anti lock system on their old Mopar? No worries.

I have had DOT5 in my Charger for nearly 40 years with NO issues nor regrets. Stock Bendix 4 piston calipers. I did this for the paint protection, as Hemi car master cylinders are removed for engine maintenance occasionally. Mind you this system was completely new when filled. I also started using DOT5 in boat trailers equipped with surge brakes. Has been working out great for the last 5+ years. Again, you must start with fresh components. DO NOT mix DOT5 with any other fluid!

I’ve used DOT 5 in my classics for over 30 years with no problems and I’ve mixed it with DOT 3 with no problems. DOT 5 is far superior to DOT 3, in my opinion. Also, I’ve tested it on paint several times. You could wax your car with it and not harm the paint. Yeah, I know most people won’t believe me at all. But it’s true.

My understanding is that the system should be flushed prior to using DOT5. I’ve used it on several builds after a complete brake system rebuild so cross contamination has not been an issue. The oldest car I converted to DOT5 was a ‘37 Packard, getting a good solid pedal has never been a problem.

What happens when you mix 3 and 5? I’ve seen people say not to for years, but never have I seen anybody explain what bad things will happen.

What happens when you mix 3 and 5? I’ve seen people say not to for years, but never have I seen anybody explain what bad things will happen.
Impotence.
Halitosis.
Hair loss.
Diabetes.
Fingernail sensitivity.
Hot sweats.
Cold sweats.
Tinnitus.

Besides separating, it can attract any impurities that were harmlessly suspended in the DOT3/4 fluid and cause clumping problems, possibly restricting smaller orifices.

You can literally take a piss in your master cylinder. It's good, go ahead and try it.

14 years in my Runner no issues but don't mix them. I see there is a 5.1 now???

Just to add to the confusion - 5.1 is not silicone fluid.
They really put a lot of effort in to the numbering system so it was idiot proof.

Do a bit of real research . Outside of a car forum with Diy'ers homemade brake teck
Many years ago, when service stations actually pumped gas (I was one of the attendants), a guy came into the station with his old nearly derelict car. It was leaking brake fluid and needed to top up the master cylinder. I don't remember the exact price but the smallest bottle/can of brake fluid was about 3 times the amount of the change he had on him. He went into the variety store next door and got a pint of chocolate milk and dumped that in the master cylinder. I saw him still driving that around in that state for the rest of the year. Seemed to work fine. Might have froze in the winter though.

Many years ago, when service stations actually pumped gas (I was one of the attendants), a guy came into the station with his old nearly derelict car. It was leaking brake fluid and needed to top up the master cylinder. I don't remember the exact price but the smallest bottle/can of brake fluid was about 3 times the amount of the change he had on him. He went into the variety store next door and got a pint of chocolate milk and dumped that in the master cylinder. I saw him still driving that around in that state for the rest of the year. Seemed to work fine. Might have froze in the winter though.
Chocolate milk lol.. I know a guy that poured coca cola in his trans once.

But my favorite; a guy comes in , shitty brakes. Pop the lid, low and behold, rubber top gasket springs out/ fluid looks like crap.
Ask him " hey, so who poured power steering fluid in here? ( or whatever pops to mind)"
" oh geez, I haven't got the foggiest clue! No ideer!"

Get over looking like a Tard and just tell me FFS.

fairly common story.

Dot 5 in my car at least 25 years, just flushed as best as i could and went for it.
Factory disk/drum brakes and feels and stops great, never had a problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back