• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Downsides to owning a 413?

Had a guy offer me a 413 out of a 65 chrysler that supposedly runs great. What are the downsides to owning a 413? I've read pistons are tough/impossible to come but are there any other difference that would keep a guy from bolting up an a833 or 727 that are newer than a 1965 413?
Have you asked yourself the opposite question? What is the upside to owning a 413?

You also need to be pretty clear on what you want to do with motor and overall goal.

Okay, the lead’s ‘startin to shrink’; BUT where-when assuming ¼ mile? Nada word about winning? I’ll go on believing the Beach Boys were biased and didn’t want to admit the Dodge’s lead didn’t shrink fast enough – lol. Was it the Little old lady from Pasadena running the Vette? Guess we’ll never know...as usual the tune it racing through my head now. One of my favorite old tunes.
:rofl:BTW, Brian Wilson turns EIGHTY on June 20. Man I feel old.

My 1963 Chrysler 300 has a transplanted 413 plus long rams from a 1960 300F and it goes like heck.

Okay, the lead’s ‘startin to shrink’; BUT where-when assuming ¼ mile? Nada word about winning? I’ll go on believing the Beach Boys were biased and didn’t want to admit the Dodge’s lead didn’t shrink fast enough – lol. Was it the Little old lady from Pasadena running the Vette? Guess we’ll never know...as usual the tune it racing through my head now. One of my favorite old tunes.
Little old lady from Stinkerdena.......well, that's whats most call the city I live in because it's along the Houston Ship Channel where all the refineries are lol.

Two different songs people.
Pretty sure Shutdown was by Jan and Dean, maybe Little Old Lady From Pasadena too.

Little old lady from Pasadena had a brand new super stock dodge, with a 4-2-6, she’ll get a ticket sooner or later, because she can’t keep or foot off the accelerator.

Beach boys originally sang it, Jan and Dean did a cover, like a lot of songs of that time period, it got shared….sorry for derailing the op’s thread:lol:

I wonder why that is

27 cubic inches. And they made a lot more of them?
Yup.....it's kinda like the difference between a 318 and a 340. The teen can be made to run good too but when it's so easy these days to make 1 hp per cubic inch, why not go bigger. Thing is, none of these engines are all that easy to find for cheap these days and if the 413 is cheap and in good shape, I wouldn't have any problems running one. With a good intake (the RPM?), headers, a mild cam and good exhaust, good tune.....it'll be good. And heck, do a good pocket job to the stock heads and it'll run even better.

Little old lady from Pasadena had a brand new super stock dodge, with a 4-2-6, she’ll get a ticket sooner or later, because she can’t keep or foot off the accelerator.

Beach boys originally sang it, Jan and Dean did a cover, like a lot of songs of that time period, it got shared….sorry for derailing the op’s thread:lol:
Doesn't the year (1963) the song (Little Old Lady ftom Pasadena and her Super Stock Dodge) preclude the car's engine being a 413? Didn't the 426 come out in 1964.....or was it 1963 as a Stage II?? Not sure.... please feel free to correct.....
BOB RENTON

Doesn't the year (1963) the song (Little Old Lady ftom Pasadena and her Super Stock Dodge) preclude the car's engine being a 413? Didn't the 426 come out in 1964.....or was it 1963 as a Stage II?? Not sure.... please feel free to correct.....
BOB RENTON
It was recorded in may of 64, and released in June, I thought they said it had a 426, but according to the all mighty google machine I was wrong. :thumbsup:

FSM for my '63 lists a 426ci motor.

You can always bore that 413 out to 4.25" and have a 426 wedge!
If I had a 413, I would JUMP on the standard bore 426 maxwedge pistons for sale in the mechanical parts section. Just sayin..... (forged, .060 over for 413, good compression ratio, 10 to one or so with open chamber heads and a thick head gasket.)

BOB RENTON
62 was the year for 413 only max wedge.

BOB RENTON
62 was the year for 413 only max wedge.
Shut down specifies a dual quad, ram induction 413 dodge, so 1962.
Lol from Pasadena, mentions 426 and a four speed, so 1964, hemi or maxwedge.
Edit: whoops. The first posting of lyrics, on Google, to LOL of Pasadena, included a lyric about a four speed stick, and a four, two,six.
I couldn't remember hearing that in the released single, so I played it, and that lyric isn't there. Soooo.....?
Heck, I'm not sure when you could get "a shiny red super stock Dodge" with a four speed. I thought a 383 was the biggest engine that could get a four gear in 62-65.

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled 413 thread......

Last edited:
Manual transmission Max Wedge cars used a 3spd because the T10 used in 361 cars couldn't take the torque.
Hemmings says the A-833 introed in 1964, I thought it was 1965.
They had the companion flange tailshaft so I might be wrong as 65 A727s had a slip yoke setup.

Sure, only 0.0625" to get to std size 4.250" bore for a 426W, BUT you still have to get EGGE/Custom pistons because stock replacements are not readily available...
I had some custom pistons made for my 426W 20 odd years ago - reverse dome reflection design - best step I ever took and these days very reasonable in price

I'm pretty sure it won't be free but i haven't even gone to look at it yet. The owner came over to visit my dad yesterday and saw my 67 coronet 4dr parts car out in the field. He asked if i was into mopars and a little while later he mentioned he had a 413 that he probably wasn't ever going to use. I wasn't that interested at first until i looked up the horsepower and torque specs for a 65 413 4bbl.
so did you buy it?

so did you buy it?

Not yet. Just haven't had a chance to go look yet but still planning on it. The guy doesn't have it up for sale or anything so i don't have to worry about someone else swooping in and buying it. I'll definitlly post once i check it out.

Auto Transport Service
Back