• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

drag link issues with charlies oil pan and girdle

Correct so if you shim the transmission mount,it's bringing the engine and transmission down making it worse.

Edit... if you are raising the transmission, it's lowering the engine .
If you are lowering the transmission, this will in deed raise the engine and give you more room in the centerlink.
You need to draw yourself a picture. How can adding a shim between the mount and the trans lower anything? The trans is above the mount. The drag link is behind the motor plate a good foot or so. Raising the trans will raise the every part of the engine behind the plate. The further back from the plate the more clearance will be gained.
Doug

I've used Ultra grey on pans with no gasket. Seals fine but tough to get apart later.
Doug
when i took the pan off yesterday , it came off pretty easy and i had used ultra black with a cometic steel core gasket. no windage tray because its built into the pan....after doing some reading on the engine masters channel they say when using a gasket, not to use silicone on it, use a gasket sealant instead...dont know which way i'm going to go yet but, i will be adding a dip stick to the pan,,it doesn't have the kick out like some do so i'm going to add a side mount housing like some fords and chevys have,

added a dip stick set up to this pan today..housing is from a 79 ford. heavy cast iron So with a gasket and sealer should not leak ...calibrated it with water at 6, 7, and 8 qt increments. i need to find the best long term flexible sealer there is.
IMG_0797.JPG

Looks good. I use Ultra Grey on my stuff. Never leaks. If its a big surface like a valley plate it will be difficult to take apart.
Doug

Looks good. I use Ultra Grey on my stuff. Never leaks. If its a big surface like a valley plate it will be difficult to take apart.
Doug
a good choice, i'm thinking about getting some rubber type gasket material so that any thing paper will not eventually soak thru,,its mocked up with some cometic thick paper type material..because once its on there will be No way to retighten it.

IMG_0800.JPG
new bullet is almost ready to go, dip stick housing doesn't leak but 5 bolts leaked some oil with the new girdle in place. pulled them out and pumped "the right stuff" into the holes and brake clean and coated all the washers, bolts, etc..will spin up the oil pump later this week and set oil pressure. if anybodys in need of a 440 max wedge dick landy style long block..........
IMG_0806.JPG
IMG_0802.JPG
IMG_0804.JPG

Charlie’s didn’t do a very good job on the drag link hole. I had to open up the top passenger side of my pan to fit my dart as the bend in the drag link hit it. Everywhere else it was close on the bottom. I think the ones with the holes work better.I just had to add a spacer to mine dolce to dropping the k frame for header clearance.

Auto Transport Service
Back