• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driveline length question '68 with A833/8.75

wasco

Local time
3:39 PM
Reaction score
I tried the two drivelines I received with the car and both are too long. One has a yoke that fits the A833 transmission, but is about three inches too long - the other is too long anyway but has a yoke that doesn't fit the transmission. I plan to take the one with the yoke that fits to a shop to be shortened - what length do I tell him? I think I'm supposed to measure from the center of the u-joints, but do I put the yoke all the way in and then back it off an inch or something before measuring to the u-joint cup on the rear? The grooves in the yoke start about an inch into it - is that right?

Maybe if someone has a 68 b body with an A833 and 8.75 rear (I think it's a 742 carrier) could tell me what their driveline is, I can avoid mis-measuring.

Thanks!

It's a 383 with a 2892626 bellhousing. The narrower of the two drivelines with the yoke that seems to fit the A833 is a 2.75" diameter. The other driveline is 3.25" diameter, has larger u-joints but the yoke and length are wrong. Maybe that's the original from when the car had a 727?

Here you go from the Factory Parts Manual for 69. Also how they measure shaft length.

69 dodge driveshaft specs.jpg 69 dodge driveshaft specs 1.jpg

Here you go from the Factory Parts Manual for 69. Also how they measure shaft length.

Ah! Excellent information. Looks like the larger drive line I have is from a Slant 6 with a three speed. I guess I'll use the yoke off the skinny one that fits the A833, with one of those combo u-joints and have it shortened to 52.07 inches. It also looks like the A833 and the 727 used the same length so maybe I could find one locally. Anyone? Spokane, WA

Thanks!

A local guy has a driveline for a 69 Road Runner - 1/2 inch shorter. Would that work? Same U-Joints, but a tiny bit over half an inch shorter......

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 5.51.14 PM.png

It is either to spec or it isn't. If 1/2" didn't matter, the factory would tell you that.
If it was my car, Close but no cigar. Use the correct one. Or just get one made. They are not expensive. Then you know it would be the correct length. No balance vibrations or bent damaged ends. Plug it in. No worries. Guaranteed.

It is either to spec or it isn't. If 1/2" didn't matter, the factory would tell you that.
If it was my car, Close but no cigar. Use the correct one.
Thanks for the advice. I agree.

In 'most' cases if not all, the 727 and the 833 used the same driveshaft in your car and it doesn't matter what 8 3/4 rear is in the housing. The 41, 42 and the 89 is the same. A Dana 60 requires a shorter shaft.

I've seen comments on other sites to avoid working with an OEM driveline, to buy a new one? There is a driveline shop in town that has a pretty good reputation, and I'd just planned to have one of these I already have shortened. I'm not drag racing or anything, just building a cruiser.

Its not about racing. Just remember how old an original shaft is . 50 + years old.
A new shaft as I said will be in new condition. No dents/dings perfectly straight. Balanced. Just install it and no worries.

Auto Transport Service
Back