• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driveline question

combatsp

Local time
11:26 AM
Reaction score
My project is nearly complete. My engine will hopefully be putting out about 550+ hp. I have 4.10 richmond gears in a 489 case. I will be running drag radials and Caltracs. The stall converter is a 3500 hughes. The car will be at full weight. Will the stock driveshaft be fine for me or do I need to upgrade? recommendations on U Joints? Anything else I should be considering? Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

At minimum I would change the u-joints to a solid non needle bearing u-joint.You might even give dynatech driveshafts a call and get a price on a new driveshaft.They don't charge shipping!!!

Also a Drive shaft safety loop & drive shaft upgrade, upgrade the universals at the very minimum, with slick's/drag radials & CalTracs your putting allot of strain on a stock 44+ year old stock drive line, rear yoke & front slip yokes, also I hope you have good axles & a bolt-in sprag or atleast a pinned sprag {sprag/clutch overrun bearing}, a SFI rated Flex palte, a SFI trans flywheel/flexplate shield &/or blanket, also once you bolt on slick's/drag radials, you need more than the typical street car stuff, just to get past tech, let alone to keep stuff safe, leagal & together with little to no problems or breakages.... have fun & happy Moparing

Thanks guys. I do have a drive shaft safety loop. I need open ended lug nuts yet. My axels are new but they are stock replacements I believe. What type of drive shaft should I get or do I need? I don't care about the weight reduction as my car is being built to run in the low 12's to avoid the roll cage. How much do they generally cost? As far as the front and rear yokes, do they just need to be new or is there a place to get performance rated yokes?

Check Mancini Racing you can get a ballanced & ready to bot in CHROMEMOLY 3"x0.065" wall w/7290 universals, 29 spline slip ypoke & shaft for arround $384... Aluminum is more like $459... MRE 30 spline with 4.5" bolt pattern, hardened heat treated axles $150-$200 each, depending on studs & bearings... Or their Moser 30-35 spline for $445 a pair with 3"x3/8" studs & bearings, it wouldn't hurt to get better universal caps/straps & bolts also...

Mine was $289 shipped to the door from dynatech.That was balanced,u-joints,slip yoke,assembled,and painted.I just pulled the drive train and inspected the u-joints after three years of some street use and two seasons of racing all good.

Thanks guys. Are the bolt in sprags hard to put in or do I need an expert mechanic? I am going to get a new driveshaft, u joints and slip yoke. The rear yoke came with the center section that I bought new from Mancini so that should be fine. The moser axles look good to me. Will 35 spline axles fit or do I have to modify something to make them fit an 8 3/4 rear? I am trying to do as much reading as possible but can't find an answer.

To go to 35 Spline you will need to change to a Detrioit Locker or Spool more than likely... Contact Strange & ask them, they are good people there...

To go to 35 Spline you will need to change to a Detrioit Locker or Spool more than likely... Contact Strange & ask them, they are good people there...

Thanks for the info. I found a calculator that helps you figure out what axle you need and it seems a 30 spline should be fine for my application.

Auto Transport Service
Back