• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drivers Window Not Lining Up

1969VAGTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:19 PM
Reaction score
The drivers side door glass sags down leaving the gap shown in the picture when I close the door. The vertical chrome trim won’t seal against the quarter window. The window frame in the door is clearly sagging because I can pull up on the rear of the frame even after rolling the window all the way up. I also wonder if there could be an alignment issue with the quarter glass, but it doesn’t appear to sag in the channel. Any thoughts on what the source of this problem might be and how I could fix it before I pull the door panel apart and investigate? Thanks.

2AACEA79-0600-48A9-BCAC-70B085EF38A4.jpeg

Last edited:
Show a pic of the vent window frame to a pillar. You tilt that fwd to bring up the back.
Do the front adjust with rear quarter window down.
Once the front is perfect, adjust rear to match :thumbsup:

Yes sir,, you will definitely have to access the inner door. If you have a factory shop manual , you’re half way there.

Yeah, could be adjustment at the front. As posted, looks like you should remove the door panel to inspect the action of the regulator and get a good view of why the glass sags down...

Yes sir,, you will definitely have to access the inner door. If you have a factory shop manual , you’re half way there.
Shop manual was the first purchase after the car.

Show a pic of the vent window frame to a pillar. You tilt that fwd to bring up the back.
Do the front adjust with rear quarter window down.
Once the front is perfect, adjust rear to match :thumbsup:
Will pull the door panel apart as soon as I get some downtime. Need to adjust the seal on the door handle anyway. I noticed that the entire window frame moves (sort of like rotating up and forward as I pick up on the back of the window).

If that’s the case, this could be a better hassle to have as among the gremlins on the regulator could be worn gearing. If yours is like mine, the vent and window channel are bolted together and can be removed in one piece. When I restored my ride, the bottom bolts under the door affixing/adjusting the channel were a hassle to remove despite it being a CA car with minimal rust. One bolt broke and had to drill it out and re-thread the nut; great laying on the ground. About the only bolts/screws I remember having a hassle with. I did the other door more patiently soaking the bolts for a few hours and giving them a couple shocks before loosening them coming out fine. May not be your hassle; but just tossing it out in case.

The drivers side door glass sags down leaving the gap shown in the picture when I close the door. The vertical chrome trim won’t seal against the quarter window. The window frame in the door is clearly sagging because I can pull up on the rear of the frame even after rolling the window all the way up. I also wonder if there could be an alignment issue with the quarter glass, but it doesn’t appear to sag in the channel. Any thoughts on what the source of this problem might be and how I could fix it before I pull the door panel apart and investigate? Thanks.

View attachment 1345489
Hello 1969VAG,

Did you resolve your window issues? If so, how? I'm having similar problems except the window sags the other way (end toward rear won't stay up/level). Thanks.

Hello 1969VAG,

Did you resolve your window issues? If so, how? I'm having similar problems except the window sags the other way (end toward rear won't stay up/level). Thanks.
I have not been able to resolve this issue yet. I pulled the door panel apart but couldn't really diagnose what the problem is. I put it back together for now. I am debating whether I need to pull the entire window assembly out to address this problem. I could not see an obvious weak point at the back of the window frame. I think it has something to do with the alignment in the front because when I pull the window all the way up in the rear it still leaves a gap between the front glass/chrome trim and the rear quarter glass.

You should have window glass stops in case you haven’t looked at possible adjustment, a guess looking at your photo, the rear glass may not be coming up as far as it should. Maybe similar with the front window. One might be higher/lower than the other. Also make sure the regulators are bolted secure in the door. Check the gear teeth, no worn off teeth. There’s a bunch of adjustments as you know and posted. Could be ya have looked at all this; but sometimes they can be hard to spot right off. Another check is the door alignment.

Auto Transport Service
Back