• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

driveshaft hitting floorboard

74gtx

Local time
3:37 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had the driveshaft hit the floor? i never even thought it was possible, 74 roadrunner had four people in the car 300lbs maximum in back seat. Any ideas how to stop this? Thanks, Mike

yeah, Im getting up there in age! As far as the car goes I did fix the air shocks today, would I be wise to change the springs? I'm sure theyre tired by now. Thanks, Mike

Don't bring up that "air shocks" debate again... :rolleyes: That was done to death here a couple of years ago.
Probably better to concentrate on the springs and bushes out back, and look at replacement 'normal' shocks. :thumbsup:

Sorry I wasn't aware of the air shock thing. I agree with the springs, seems like a lot of weight for air shocks to support. Thanks! Mike

wait, air shocks? what are those??

jacked up.jpg

Nice, When I was a kid we shoved 2x4s between the coil springs to raise the rear.

Not sure how I see it happening - but I would indeed look at a sagging set of or one rear spring. Seems as though that would have to be pretty noticeable before the drive shaft would be rubbing. Maybe another explanation. Not sure that shocks or springs would cause that type of event...

yeah it made a hell of a sound, I had no idea what it was until I had it on a lift and saw the marks.

Nice, When I was a kid we shoved 2x4s between the coil springs to raise the rear.

This just made my day as I thought me and my buddies were the only dummies to put 2x4s in the rear coils, thanks for the memories.:thumbsup:

Yeah, had a 70 440 RT Challenger that banged the floor with the shaft and found the stock snubber was gone. The car was only 12 years old at the time too. 2x4's in the rear coils? Must have been playing with GM stuff! Also, air shocks with 15/20 PSI won't hurt anything and if it does, there were problems before they got thrown on the car and yeah, the air shock debate has been beat like a dead horse here. Used to use just one air shock on the right side for some preload and it worked great and if you do use them, make sure you use a separate line kit....NEVER link them together with a single line with a T going to both.

If you are putting 300 lbs. on the back seat you have got to be real close to max vechical load.

If you are putting 300 lbs. on the back seat you have got to be real close to max vechical load.
If the carrying capacity sticker is still in the door jamb, you're ahead of the game. All vehicles are supposed to have the sticker but many lose them during times of repaint.

Sorry I work funky hours. Yes the 2x4s were used on my cutlass and other gm's, Glad to hear i'm not the only one! The area it hits is right above the pumkin and maybe 6-8 inches in. Could I ask why you should run separate lines for air shocks? I have drag bags on a Aussie GTO that I ran separate but only did it for drag racing. Thanks all! Mike

If you run your air lines to a "T", going around a turn or on a uneven road surface, it will let the pressure change from one shock to the other. Could over pressurize the one shock too.

Auto Transport Service
Back