• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Homemade Big brakes?

96Formula6sp

Local time
3:02 AM
Reaction score
So after five years it looks like we are going to dig out lemons 1972 coronet back out to go racing again. This time with some more horsepower and gear. We were running the A body spindles with the Magnum brakes from a 1979 car. They worked but race pads were $250 a set and you needed two sets to make a weekend even with cooling. Car made 150wrhp back then from a tired 318. We plan to do a rebuild with a basic cam, head, intake, carb work it should be in the 300wrhp range with ease. Was reading some older threads about making brackets for mustang rotors and brembos. But it looks like most of these people have fallen off the forum and were last seen in the 2019-2021 range. Their inboxes are also full so I figure they are all long gone.

Anybody have ideas for brackets to bolt on a 13-14 inch rotor. Any people making them on the forums? We are going to an 18 inch wheel so both should clear without issues. Just found the Dr Diff stuff for the viper caliper. Curious what rotor he is using as I am not a fan of drilled and slotted rotors on track. Have had four students cars crack drilled and slotted rotors on track when I have been doing instructing. Would rather have a good old blank rotor. Hopefully something that could be had at a parts store the same day. We have the stock 72 Disc Spindles laying around as well as the 73+ A body spindles. If needed I could source some of the drum spindles.

Shouldn't be to hard to carve out a set of mounts.... The easy way would be to score some radial mount calipers... Notice I didn't say the cheap way...

Pretty easy to use the spindles you have, take the original rotor & carve away everything that isn't part of the hub, longer studs so the rotor becomes a slide on hat...

Just did a quick search for SRT rotors (360mm-14") there are plenty out there, pretty cheap, but they all are either drilled or slotted, most are slotted...

So the funny thing as I have a set of the cayenne calipers on the shelf for this project. But we're up against an eight week deadline. So looking at kits as well.

So looking at rotors, the Scat Pack stuff is 360mm (14") but only 32MM thick, the SRT rotors are 34mm thick, same as the Audi/Porsche application but they are 390mm (15")... Which should still fit under an 18" wheel... And gives a little more room for an adapter to connect the caliper to the spindle....

You need a local machinist... What you need is pretty easy to make... Mount the rotor on the spindle, mock up the caliper, get it clamped accurately in place and take a bunch of measurements, whittle out a bracket & then the fun begins, cause once you get it mounted then you have to figure out how to balance the braking....

There's a guy that sold brackets that adapted 2012-era Mustang GT front and rear brakes over on dodgecharger.com to stock drum spindles and at least the 8.57 rear end. He wasn't asking crazy money for them at the time. They work for the normal 13.2" Mustang GT brakes, or can be used with the Brembo big-boy calipers too.

Disc brake conversion using stock drum hubs and spindles 2 piston, 4 piston or 6

Www.youtube.com/invincibleextremes

I've had them on my car since about 2018 running the GT 13.2" discs up front and 11.8" in the back and it's been great, plus you can choose from a zillion disc/pad combinations.

Auto Transport Service
Back