• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driveshaft legnth

bifford

Local time
6:47 AM
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the length of driveshaft I need for a 72 Satellite with a 383 and an 8.25 rear end? Its a hodge podge of differentparts so its hard to look up, also looking for a strata vent controller for non ac...if you got one

Thanks in advance for any info you got

I take it that 50.8" is from center to center of the u joints?

I have one thats 50" from a 75 Cordoba and it seems to be about 2" short, It fits and runs and drives but the look of the spline in the tranny seems to look like it could go in about 2" more. I mean, there is lots of meat on the output shaft, more than about 2-3" of overlap but it just looks a bit weird, I was thinking a longer driveshaft would satisfy that "expected look" maybe Im just paraniod.....\

If you have a slip yoke pull it out 1" from bottoming, measure the center to center and that's what you should need.

Keep in mind the original slip yoke seals were booted, some aftermarket tail shaft seals are not. Without a booted seal there will be more exposed slip yoke. Just need to be sure the slip joke is in far enough to ride the full depth on the tail shaft bushing.

I'll try the 1" trick and see how much is in there, I think there is plenty as the splines are fully in contact with both pieces, carrying the torque

Auto Transport Service
Back