• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drum Brakes Grabbing - SOLVED!

First image is passenger side.

Compress_20220412_201747_7225.jpg Compress_20220412_201747_7305.jpg

Buy from O Rilles just bought shoes for my 88 truck rivited and correct size, NO cheaply sets buy the best

Ok, I just ordered new shoes. Will pick up at 5 tomorrow. Not sure I am 100% on board with this fixing my issue. Seems like the drivers side with less adjustment and a smaller front shoe would break less.

Last edited:
1st image on the passenger side you have 2 rear shoes on it.
2nd image on the drivers side has the correct setup. 1 front ( short pad ) & 1 rear ( longer pad )
Look at the pad length between the 2
It does make a difference.

1st image on the passenger side you have 2 rear shoes on it.
2nd image on the drivers side has the correct setup. 1 front ( short pad ) & 1 rear ( longer pad )
Look at the pad length between the 2
It does make a difference.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Will jack up the rear and find the missing front right shoe tomorrow. Will replace fronts with new!

Ok, I just ordered new shoes. Will pick up at 5 tomorrow. Not sure I am 100% on board with this fixing my issue. Seems like the drivers side with less adjustment and a smaller front shoe would break less.
Also what are the diameters of your drums. They need to be relatively the same side to side and not beyond minimum service specifications. Both of your rear brakes also need to be 100 percent.

Never any trouble back when we arced the shoes to fit the drums, no so called breakin period.

I think the O'Reilly shoes fixed the problem. Not locking up on the drivers side anymore.

I think the O'Reilly shoes fixed the problem. Not locking up on the drivers side anymore.
Saw this post earlier today. Been dealing with this since last fall. Looked at my shoes and sure enough off center by a bit. $29 at O'Reillys today and seems to be ok so far. Big difference lining wise
20220430_175249.jpg
20220430_175317.jpg
20220430_175351.jpg
20220430_175408.jpg

I finally went all in and got the Matrix Ceramic brake shoes from Musclecarbrakes.com. .....
On another note...you don't have to spend that much to get your drum brakes to work properly...my rear shoes cost me all of about $29 bucks and they work flawlessly.

@Easternair: Can you clarify if you used the Matrix Ceramic on the front and then the standard brakes on the rear. From your posted quoted above you mentioned going all in but then noted that the rear shoes were only $29. Like others I have purchased mine from O'Reilly's without problem. But, I have also seen all the claims on the Matrix adding significant stopping power without resorting to conversion to Disc. Also, to me, although they are significantly higher than standard shoes they are significantly less than Disc conversion plus keep the stock originality. Thanks for sharing your comments both on lining placement AND on your results with the Matrix Ceramic.

@Easternair: Can you clarify if you used the Matrix Ceramic on the front and then the standard brakes on the rear. From your posted quoted above you mentioned going all in but then noted that the rear shoes were only $29. Like others I have purchased mine from O'Reilly's without problem. But, I have also seen all the claims on the Matrix adding significant stopping power without resorting to conversion to Disc. Also, to me, although they are significantly higher than standard shoes they are significantly less than Disc conversion plus keep the stock originality. Thanks for sharing your comments both on lining placement AND on your results with the Matrix Ceramic.

Auto Transport Service
Back