• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dual quad n96 question

fk5dave

Local time
7:13 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys. Question for you guys. We are wanting to run a dual quad setup on a 440 in a 69 superbee with the n96 ram charger good duct and twin sniper efi throttle bodies. We are thinking of using the hemi base plate...

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/md7118.html

anyone see a problem? Do Holley style carbs have the same spacing on the intake as the Carter? Do you think the top plate off a regular 4bbl oval air cleaner work with that base plate?

thanks for any ideas. Or if you have done this let us know what you think. Thanks!

I think if your manifold has room for holleys, its aftermarket and has the carbs spaced farther apart, meaning the hemi base plate won't work. Stock hemi manifold won't take holleys.
Measure the separation between the carbs (easiest, measure from one of the front bolt holes for carb mount to the same on the rear carb pad) and then ask the hemi guys here for their stock measurement.

I think if your manifold has room for holleys, its aftermarket and has the carbs spaced farther apart, meaning the hemi base plate won't work. Stock hemi manifold won't take holleys.
Measure the separation between the carbs (easiest, measure from one of the front bolt holes for carb mount to the same on the rear carb pad) and then ask the hemi guys here for their stock measurement.
He's not using holley carbs. He's using a sniper dual quad set up. They resemble carters in size. I am contemplating those on a future hemi project of my own. I could measure mine I guess and post up

He's not using holley carbs. He's using a sniper dual quad set up. They resemble carters in size. I am contemplating those on a future hemi project of my own. I could measure mine I guess and post up
I understood that, but if he has an aftermarket manifold, it might not have the same carb pad spacing as stock.
There are special manifolds with the pads spread, to enable holley use.

Last edited:
I don't know jack about Holley Snipers, but this "might" help. An old factory 413 in-line dual quad intake, with Carter carbs, is spaced correctly to use a Hemi N96 air cleaner and fit under your N96 hood. The 4 bbl lids have the holes in a different location (I think)

hemi carter carbs have a small air cleaner mounting flange, the holley sniper would have the larger mounting flange , like a std holley carb. the classic ind, base would have to be modified for the larger bore size on the air cleaner mounting flange

depends on manifold. whatever manifold there will be some fab work. old factory iron manifold may be easier. ch28 has different carb spacing (6 7/16") and is a little taller than a ch4b. the throttle holes in the factory iron will need to be enlarged.

I doubt you will find a lid to fit without fabbing on the base to fit a lid similar to the N96 single carb base

Measure from carb stud to carb stud, that will tell you which baseplate and air lid to modify, either way nothing is available for that particular application. Thats a big job! plus holley is a 5" diameter as well.

@fk5dave were you able to make this work? I'm looking at doing the same with 440 with Dual holleys.

I'll get the measurement tonight when I get home.

Carb stud to carb stud is 8.75"
Holley 9776 carbs, offenhauser manifold
20231030_172029.jpg

My Edelbrock Hemi intake is 6 3/4" center to center. My #1405 Edelbrock carbs air horns are 5 1/8". Air horn for instance on a stock 426 Hemi carter afb is 5 7/8". Do not remember center to center on the afb, but it is shorter. I was able to order a Sixpack type aircleaner from a company in Washington, state. Shaker hood I think, not out in the garage right now.

i have lids and baseplates for 8 3/4" your fuel line may get in the way, you will need to turn it downwards, just guessing. I can send photos if you wish, thanks
PM sent

I have ordered a air cleaner assembly from chryco. Once I get it, I'll let everyone know how it fit. Going to have to modify my fuel lines for sure. But everything else should work as is. Added a decal to my generic oval air cleaner for now
20231105_143801.jpg

Got may air cleaner assembly from @Chryco. Had to make my fuel lines come in at a 45 degree angle to clear the base plate. The base plate also hit the rear fuel bowl on the left side. I used some .75" spacers on the air horns and everything bolted up.
20231127_164450.jpg
20231127_164756.jpg

20231127_165007.jpg
20231127_171708.jpg
20231127_171830.jpg

Now i just need to get a larger 440 magnum 8 pack decal made

Auto Transport Service
Back