• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dyeing seat belts?

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:48 PM
Reaction score
Has anybody tried dyeing seat belts? What’s your experience been? What did you use etc?

No, I've dyed kick panels, I need green belt buckle covers for her charger, hard to find and they seem very brittle. I'll probably have to dye some black ones

Years ago I dyed faded black seat belts black with Rit dye. They turned out great. Now if you're trying to dye your belts a different color, I don't think it will work.

did the rit dye on a set of blue ones on my old 69 Dart work great do it with very hot water.

Might seem like a weird question but will the dye stick to the metal part of the buckle where the chrome has chipped off?

I did my sun-bleached Barracuda deck carpet a while back with this DK product. I didn't want to use the spray paint dye.
It did OK IMO. Not as dark as I would have liked but it didn't make the carpet stiff. Not sure if they have dye for other automotive items.

1702480749058.png

1702480832101.png

FWIW, before doing the car carpet, I tried some rattle can spray dye from the local craft store on felt covered pool table bumpers. Had to brush them afterward to soften the felt. I'll likely not do that again.
1702483051504.png

1702482901636.png

I’ve used duplicolor on black seat belts to bring them back from being faded. Came out excellent. Changing colors though, I’ve never tried that.

I’ve used duplicolor on black seat belts to bring them back from being faded. Came out excellent. Changing colors though, I’ve never tried that.
Mine are a very faded light green. They are original and are kinda dry and dirty. I hear that they dye better than the new nylon ones. Are they safe? Who knows. But if your wearing them and you get into an accident and they tear …. maybe thats a good thing if it slowly de accelerates you enough lol……

Last edited:
Has anybody tried dyeing seat belts? What’s your experience been? What did you use etc?
Have you tried cleaning them really well?
My brothers came out amazingly well just after a clean.

Can of upholstery cleaner and go... but I suspect you're trying to change their colour?

I dyed mine a few weeks ago from red to black. They turned out great. I used RIT and followed the instructions for nylon. This calls for hot water 140f or higher. I used a hot plate and a propane torch to heat it up quicker. The recipe also calls for 1 teaspoon of dawn and 1 cup of white vinegar. Wash after with water and then wash again with water and dawn. Drip dry. The dye will not harm the chrome but will affect the tags and releases if painted a non black color.

seatbelts.jpg

Yes, I dyed a variety of colored belts to black using RIT dye. The dye doesn't stick to the metal. Do the dying outside on a camp stove as the black vapor can do a number in your kitchen!

I dyed mine a few weeks ago from red to black. They turned out great. I used RIT and followed the instructions for nylon. This calls for hot water 140f or higher. I used a hot plate and a propane torch to heat it up quicker. The recipe also calls for 1 teaspoon of dawn and 1 cup of white vinegar. Wash after with water and then wash again with water and dawn. Drip dry. The dye will not harm the chrome but will affect the tags and releases if painted a non black color.

View attachment 1603328

Be careful, if the black dye transfers to the white vinyl it will be impossible to get out…

I used the rit dye on a set of blue >black. Worked well , I let em soak in a bucket for a week . The hosed off the excess and let them dry completely before reinstalling.

Auto Transport Service
Back