• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E-bay anyone still use it? Buy or sell?

What will kill ebay for small potatoes people is the 1099 form above 600.00 They can pound sand,

What will kill ebay for small potatoes people is the 1099 form above 600.00 They can pound sand,
I agree. That will kill it for the sellers and their allowing of spamming search words will kill it for the buyers..

I have 30 years of parts to sell eventually, but I have confidence I will find another way to adverise them.

I have 30 years of parts to sell eventually, but I have confidence I will find another way to adverise them.
It costs nothing to sell here, or at the other F*BO sites.....unless you feel like springing for a Gold Membership. :)

And you hit the target audience....with fewer chances of scamming a-holes.

Some things on Ebay are also listed on Amazon by the same seller. Ebay isn't what it used to be and PayPal is getting harder to deal with too. The world we live in.

I know the feeling as I have a barn full of parts I need to get rid of.. It's going to take a long time since I have been hoarding parts and buying better stuff for 35 years..

I buy everything for the Mopars from Ebay and FB marketplace

I also buy obsolete and hard to find parts/items on Ebay and based upon fees they're charging, don't know how long small sellers can remain profitable/viable.

Ebay's greed may kill them and government taxes will force sellers to go "underground" once again.....

Also, doesn't help that States are collecting taxes at point of sale using Ebay to collect taxes. IRS also using Ebay to report sales.

Small sellers don't have a chance - sad.........

ok on this subject what the hell is the listings with buy it now price of say 35.00 and shipping and handling of 150.00 . is this for seller to beat up on com. I will buy there if I cant get it anywhere else . and paypal is just as big a thief as ebay . I have bought there since it started . am also 100% with over 500 buys . but they are now my last place to buy. I belive they also own kijiji

I use it a couple time a month pretty consistently since joining in 1999. You have to really know what you’re looking at. I’ve been burned a few times as a buyer, and I refuse to sell on it. Just too much fee, etc.

Recently I’ve bought a crossmember, a bell housing, set of NOS lifters x2, a new flywheel. Interesting that with the supply chain problems, eBay is a good source. You can’t advertise it unless you have it and say how long it should be to get said item.

I've been using Ebay for years. I don't sell, only buy. I've had around 200 buys and never had a problem. I only buy from sellers who have a 98 or higher positive rating with thousands of transactions completed or 100 percent with hundreds of transactions completed. I buy from car parts to leather boot conditioners I've bought obsolete parts for old machinery in my shop that I couldn't find anywhere else. I've never had a problem with PayPal either. Been involved with both since around 2010.

they are after the sellers, not buyers. Buyers are impacted, as if a person is selling, he has to raise the price for the product to compensate for the fee/tax. The Buyer does indeed pay the extra costs.

Over the years, I've walked more miles than I can count at the Carlisle swap fields looking for assembly line OEM exhaust tips for my GTXs, and never found a correct NOS set. I'm a bit obsessed with originality on this particular part, because my first three survivor cars all came with real factory originals still in place. I have purchased both a nearly perfect original pair and three pairs of NOS on Ebay, for bargain prices. I couldn't find them anywhere else, at any price, had a high end vendor laugh in my face when I asked if he ever got a set in stock. However, I agree with previous posts, in preferring not to sell there.

I have no choice but use ebay. I live in a very small town and muscle car resources are very limited. Ebay sellers (some sellers) take advantage of this and it seems everything is expensive but at least its there to buy, I think back years ago before pc's and it was very hard to find parts. I got an old notebook full of phone numbers of junkyards and mopar guys who had parts. Now I just get on ebay or market place and there it is.

There is a lot of small junk I buy, like last week my wife needed a pair of glasses, cheaters. Cheaters at the store only go up to 350 power. Cheaters on Ebay are up to 600 power and came to my door in 5 days for 10 bucks. You have to really know what you’re looking for, very true and be willing to bid to the moon if need be. I've bid a piece of chrome for a console I was working on to the point that it was obvious me and whoever wanted it VERY bad and I don't know the word quit once I sink my teeth in. I ended up paying over twice what it was worth. The seller never forget it and he took care of me in the future for it. I'm a sellers dream on some stuff and other stuff, screw you. Parts are or can be expensive. If you think Ebay's expensive, look what our cars are going for anywhere, stupid money!! In most cases the day of having your cake and eat it too are long gone. My boss, when I was young, once told me, if you want to piss with the big dogs, you have to learn to lift your leg high enough. They're coming down on these people for making a living and not paying enough in taxes. Cash is not king anymore, we're getting to the point of having to report where large amounts are coming from. The man is watching. They want their share from garage sales to flea markets. I have a few friends that own hair salons where cash for cuts and tips are going by the way side due to some banks already reporting cash. I won't go into anymore than that, but nothing is getting cheap.

Last edited:
As stated in the previous post, Ebay seems to fill a niche for oddball stuff with a "thin" market (item is rare, and so are potential buyers, often the situation with old car parts). Example - my size 8 wife has a mild case of peripheral neuropathy, and used to use one size fits all loaner wheelchairs when we visited museums and aquariums. The second time I had to carry a 50 pound steel chair up three flights of stairs, because of a ridiculous wait time for the elevator, I decided to take action. I found a dealer demonstrator, narrow width titanium ultralight chair, with a frame weight of 11 pounds, and bought it for $500 on Ebay. Retail price would have been about $4500.

Last edited:
...I may have to plan a field trip sometime....I'm about 20 minutes from Gettysburg. Maybe I could help you free up some barn space ;)
No offense, I don't take anyone there. It's been safe for 33 years because of it.

Used ebay for over 20 years and for the most part has worked fine, locating some parts I needed and couldn’t find elsewhere. I’ve sold a lot of stuff too. BUT, the site has become more user unfriendly and fees have gone up. Biggest hassle is friggin shipping costs. I no longer sell larger stuff that requires take it in da *** costs. More stuff I sell I includes the shipping costs in the price and often lower the 'want to get for it price'.

I’ve used craig’s only a few times because I never want anyone coming to my house. I’ve set up a meeting place at a busy gas station near me having surveillance cameras. I’ve heard good things about FB market place; but never been on FB and still don’t like the idea being on it. As such more trips to Goodwill and the scrapyard.

Auto Transport Service
Back