• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early 60s B Body tire/wheels

Stumper

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:30 AM
Reaction score
Another one of those open ended question posts. My 62 Fury currently has 8.25x14 bias ply tires on steel wheels. Great for big car shows and all to capture the OEM look but terrible on these mountain roads. I’m thinking I’ll get another whole set of wheels and tires to use for most of my local cruising and save the originals. I am pretty well set on Torque Thrust D wheels with some modern radials but I am trying to figure the best size and wondering what others are running on a stock early B Body?
I will state up front that this car is a cruiser, not a hot rod. Looking to put the same size on all 4 corners, and nothing too wide. I figure to go with 15” wheels and I am thinking 225x70-15 tires, probably 7” wheels with 3.75” back space. I want to stay around 27 - 27.5” diameter. My question is will a 225x70 be too wide (~9” sectional) on 7” wheels? If I drop to 215x70 will the 7” wheels be too wide? What are you all running? Oh, and I have stock drums on all corners.

your choice of 225/70R15 on a 7 inch wheel is spot on. that will make a good combo for what you're wanting to do. ruffcut

Another one of those open ended question posts. My 62 Fury currently has 8.25x14 bias ply tires on steel wheels. Great for big car shows and all to capture the OEM look but terrible on these mountain roads. I’m thinking I’ll get another whole set of wheels and tires to use for most of my local cruising and save the originals. I am pretty well set on Torque Thrust D wheels with some modern radials but I am trying to figure the best size and wondering what others are running on a stock early B Body?
I will state up front that this car is a cruiser, not a hot rod. Looking to put the same size on all 4 corners, and nothing too wide. I figure to go with 15” wheels and I am thinking 225x70-15 tires, probably 7” wheels with 3.75” back space. I want to stay around 27 - 27.5” diameter. My question is will a 225x70 be too wide (~9” sectional) on 7” wheels? If I drop to 215x70 will the 7” wheels be too wide? What are you all running? Oh, and I have stock drums on all corners.
I have 215R70's on 15 X 7 rims on my 1964 Polara. Watch clearance at leading edge of front fender.

I have 215R70's on 15 X 7 rims on my 1964 Polara. Watch clearance at leading edge of front fender.
Do you have clearance issues with the 215x70s? They are a bit more narrow and smaller in OD than the 225s I was thinking of.

Do you have clearance issues with the 215x70s? They are a bit more narrow and smaller in OD than the 225s I was thinking of.
I had to trim the front corners of my fenders because they turn in so far. When turning, the tire would snag on this area. I was looking at a friend"s '62 Dart and it looked like he had more clearance here.

P3020032.JPG P3020033.JPG

Anyone else care to share what combo they are running on an early B, particularly on the front and for a 62?

If I were to go with a 215x70r-15 tire would they be better on a 6” wheel or a 7”?

My 62 has 215/70r/15 on cop wheels, which I don't like on this car.
No idea on the wheel width, 6"?

My 62 has 215/70r/15 on cop wheels, which I don't like on this car.
No idea on the wheel width, 6"?

You don’t like the tire size or the cop wheels? I know that all of the 215x70 tires I’ve looked at show a 7” as the maximum. I’m just not sure if I want to go maximum. The Torque Thrusts don’t seem to come in half sizes so it’s either 6” or 7”.

I have three sets of tires I run on my 62. Two will be of interest ( the other is short tires on pizza cutters.)
I have 235/70x15s on 15x6 factory steelies with 4" backspace. A little too big for the six inch wheel, and one side rubs on a header tube. If you don't have a header tube in the wheelwell, should be good.
I also have a 235/75x15 on a 15x7 polished TT2, very tall (that was the idea) and they rub on header tubes. They would also have crashed into the front of the wheelwell, but the fenders have been relieved a bunch, like Dave 6T4 showed, but more extreme.
I don't think you can go wrong with 225/70s on a 15x7 tt2, I think they would be perfect. I would get gray, instead of polished, but that is personal choice, (I like mine, but they are only polished cause I got a great deal on them)
Edit: I had pics of all three sets on my car, but they were on a tablet..... that I killed.

I do like the gray Torque Thrusts on a 62’. Had a set on my old 62’.

Auto Transport Service
Back