• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early 727 Kickdown

Stumper

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:24 PM
Reaction score
Does an early (62’) 727 have a partial throttle kick down? Mine won’t drop to second unless I kick it into passing gear at full throttle.

No, don't think it came in until 1971. You might be able to modify yours, do a search, there's threads on A Bodies site about it too.

Last edited:
Does an early (62’) 727 have a partial throttle kick down? Mine won’t drop to second unless I kick it into passing gear at full throttle.
From what I’ve learned that wasn’t til line 69 or 70

well that would explain why I dont have it. With all of the hills and curves we have around here Ive gotten used to pushing the buttons manually but it would be nice if the Tranny would do part throttle kickdowns. I’ve also noticed with this car that if I’m in second and come to a stop it will downshift into first.

well that would explain why I dont have it. With all of the hills and curves we have around here Ive gotten used to pushing the buttons manually but it would be nice if the Tranny would do part throttle kickdowns. I’ve also noticed with this car that if I’m in second and come to a stop it will downshift into first.

The 727 6 and 8 have kickdown but not as sensitive as the newer Torqueflights. Being just one pressure leaver it's not always possible to have a early kickdown and a good shift pattern. If you get the shift pattern adjustment on the money you'll have a noticeable kickdown but it's limited to speed. I believe there is an internal adjustment that can be made if the throttle leaver won't adjust enough. Here's the chart in the FSM.

20221029_214854.jpg

Believe you can change the valve body to the 69 and newer or when it changed over in talking with my tranny man

Screenshot_20221031-143921.png

A&A also has a kit that says from 66-69. I haven't heard of 2040 parts before but their kit is half the price.

Auto Transport Service
Back