• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early B-Body hood scoops, opinions?

get another hood,dont bolt it on. Your car is beautiful and a bolt on scoop would take away from the car. JMO

64-65 Hemi scoop on my 63 Fury. Bolt-on doesn't mean you see the bolts...
IMG_0761.JPG
IMG_0762.JPG
DSCN3588.JPG
DSCN3589.JPG

I still would not want to cut,drill my hood but its not my car. Good luck and hope to see pics soon. :thumbsup:

65 Hemi bolt on, I'm really happy with it!!
View attachment 889939 View attachment 889940
Did you paint the whole car at once or did you paint the scoop later. I am concerned about paint matching and your car looks like it may be the same color as mine. My paint code is TT1. Can't seem to find it in a 64. I think in 65 it is called Dark Red Poly.

The car was painted in 2016 and the scoop this pass year. The color is Subaru, 2009 to 2012 ruby red.

Last edited:
I still would not want to cut,drill my hood but its not my car. Good luck and hope to see pics soon. :thumbsup:

It would be nice if the above tolerance by davek was more accepted in our world. "Your idea is as good as my idea" is a good philosophy to live by...
Thanks, Dave

My self I love the look with the factory scoops. Going by what Mopar did on my 63 the Max Wedge scoop was the only one the factory offered in 63 so I went with a factory size Max Wedge scoop on my 63 Sport Fury. Ron

414222574.jpg

In 64 the Max Wedge cars had the same scoop as my 63 and the Hemi cars usually got the Hemi scoop like on my brothers 64 Fury here. It does not dip in the middle like the Max Wedge scoop. Either is correct on a 64 car and of course you can put any scoop you like on your car no matter what the factory did. I like both the Max Wedge and Hemi scoop and most of the time it just depends on what you like. Myself I feel these are the two best looking scoops on the 62 to 65 Mopars. Ron

410182414.jpg

I also did not cut the hood, Swapped it for "stuff" to a fellow B-Owner. This one weighs only 19 lbs. Avatar shot is same car and actual color, the one attached is just more of a frontal view copied from a scanned picture. As for Sled City I had to file with the Better Business Bureau about them. With out any satisfaction. Beware!

66 with new light weight glass bumpers 002.JPG

I also did not cut the hood, Swapped it for "stuff" to a fellow B-Owner. This one weighs only 19 lbs. Avatar shot is same car and actual color, the one attached is just more of a frontal view copied from a scanned picture. As for Sled City I had to file with the Better Business Bureau about them. With out any satisfaction. Beware!

View attachment 894018
Don’t know about any really bad stuff from Larry @ Sled City, but he does tend to say his is ‘the best’ out there. I did buy a T/A hood w/scoop for my ‘73 Challenger (T/A tribute) from AAR & I can tell you it is SECOND TO NONE! Their quality, at least for me & my T/A hood & scoop, is absolutely TOPS! The gel coat looks like it’s already painted, clear coated, & beautiful! I’ll probably buy my Hemi scoop from AAR too, although I REALLY want a USED SCOOP since I’m gonna Just cut a ‘hole’ in it for my injection stacks to stick thru.

Last edited:
I have no problem with scoops on these cars, i think they look great, but just please dont cut up a nice steel hood! Get a whole glass hood from sled city , or whomever, with a scoop on it. I cut up a nice 62 hood for a scoop, and regret it every day. I think you will get a similar opinion from others here.
Agree!!!!! Plus if ya add hood pins you can drop a bunch of weight ( hood,hinges, latch "stuuf" ) all heavy. Mine is a replacement one piece hood, composite NOT fiberglass, came all molded as one piece. Total weight 19 lbs.

Last edited:
try to do it body color if possible
Depends on color, year, body style (pro street or stock) and what he's after. Do it your way look at a few cars out there. Go on line and get some ideas, quess then do it!

View attachment 919844
Lebanon Valley 2018.jpg
View attachment 919844
Not planning on making the hood functional, I understand they aren't very effective in any case so no plans to cut an intake hole. If I do it, it would be a bolt on so if the car ever went back stock it would be an easy fix. Body color may be an option but I kinda like the late 60's early 70's look with blacked out scoops.
Mine is Very Effective. So much so that at the top end of the quarter approaching 130MPH it was getting enough pressure in it to lift itself up in the center. I pulled it off and had to cut a minor amount out of the rear corners to let some air escape. If we are caught in the rain on the street I have an old Summit Racing plastic sign I trimmed and glued closed cell foam to and just pop it into the opening of the scoop. Car now breaths as normal. Air Cleaner assemble is a K & N extreme, 16 inch Dia. 3 inches tall. And when on top of the 1050 with the hi-rise intake it actually sits up in the scoop area. As you can tell, it's not stock. Most people are not fans of the FM3 paint anyway, but wife and I think the changed color on the hood and in rear trunk panel help soften it up. The bright color is actual, The other is a _hitty picture I took. Bumpers are plastic weigh 3 lbs. each66 with new light weight glass bumpers 003.JPG

Last edited:
Done. Not a great fit, color match or finish. At the moment I can live with it.If I change my mind I still have the stock hood. This is a Sled City hood. It was created as a racecar part but even that doesn't excuse the bad fit.

I could have spent more time on it and gotten it closer but I got tired of tweaking.

20200319_105232.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back