• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Easier/quicker way to remove Super Bee stripe

440beep

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:17 PM
Reaction score
My black Super Bee has a white stripe, and it's ok, but I'm really keen to remove and replace with a red stripe. From the factory, the car was B5 blue with a black stripe, but when it was restored by someone else, it was painted black; so I'm pretty much free to do whatever stripe I want now. The white just looks kind of boring compared to a red stripe.

Anyways, other than using my 3M removal wheel, is there a quicker way to remove the stripe?

3M.jpg

If it's a sticky backed graphic, get a heat gun and some nylon single edge razor blades and get to work!

Erasers work good at slow speed. To fast will blister the paint.
A heat gun works well at a distance. As long as you move the heat gun back and forth to keep the tape warm for peeling the decal off.
The use wax and grease remover to rid the panel of the excess glue. No thinner or reducer.

...from Performance Graphics:
"12. If the stripe or decal has been on the car for months or years, there will be a “ghost” visible in the paint, due to it not fading from the sun. Only the sun will fade the ghost."

I wanted a decal replaced and installers warned me of the ghosting. They said I'd need to polish the paint after removal to get rid if it. But if you are replacing right on top of it you won't have any issues.

from Performance Graphics:
1. Never use high, concentrated heat to remove stripes and decals. It may quickly damage and age the paint, and melt backside paint and undercoating.

Auto Transport Service
Back