• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eat Out or In?

1STMP

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:01 AM
Reaction score
The cost of groceries has quickly
become a burden on the budget.
We're on a fixed income and have
found it difficult to maintain a long
standing menu of we're used to
purchasing. To head off partial costs
we started a garden, and are reaping
it's benefits. It's crazy, but the bill is
normally what we've been paying
while only buying protein items such
as chicken, pork, hamburger. Steaks
are a long distant savory memory.
$135.00 at our local Sam's Club for
a brisket.
It's to the point where eating at your
local Mickey D's equals that of a
well balanced meal at home.

It's to the point where eating at your
local Mickey D's equals that of a
well balanced meal at home.
I reckon you're right
there. A family of four
can cook a meal for
about half of what it
costs to eat at McD's.

Sure there is the washing
up, but that's a small
price to pay for a far
better meal, and the
savings to the pocket.

Food is up 15-18% in the past 2 years thanks to the policies of you know who.

....And if you don't agree, then you're either uninformed or stupid.

I rarely eat beef, i LOVE pork.... pork steaks (Not chops.. and not ham steaks) are like $3 each and i will gladly take that over any beef steak any day :) Just something to keep in mind.. most people never even heard of them.

I rarely eat beef, i LOVE pork.... pork steaks (Not chops.. and not ham steaks) are like $3 each and i will gladly take that over any beef steak any day :) Just something to keep in mind.. most people never even heard of them.
I love pork steaks also. In the crock pot
for 2-1/2 hrs. Halved taters on the
bottom.
It's the overall cost of the food bill
that puts a huge dent in the finances
these days.
I still miss a good ribeye cooked to
seared perfection. But at $20.00 +
bucks a cut, they going to have to
remain a fond memory.

I love pork steaks also. In the crock pot
for 2-1/2 hrs. Halved taters on the
bottom.
It's the overall cost of the food bill
that puts a huge dent in the finances
these days.
I still miss a good ribeye cooked to
seared perfection. But at $20.00 +
bucks a cut, they going to have to
remain a fond memory.
I think that would be a pork roast.... pork steak is only bout 1" thick... i cook them under the broiler like a normal steak, i use a mustard sauce though instead of bbq (no sugar). Last time i was at the butcher, guy in front of me was paying $26 for a single porter house.. i got 6 pork steaks for the same price and much much better flavor:)
1690286126213.png

Went to the IGA near by to buy a phouse steak. It was $11.99 lb thought o'well hate paying that much. Went to local Stop & Shop to buy a few things IGA doesn't have. Cruised by meat counter flip a phouse and it was $6.99 lb so I bought a few.

Last edited:
Went to the IGA near by to buy a phouse steak. It was $11.99 lb thought o'well hate paying that much. Went to local Stop & Shop to buy a few things IGA doesn't have. Cruised buy meat counter flip a phouse and it was $6.99 lb so I bought a few.
Were they both labeled Choice?

Since we are the left coast, dining out is getting more cost prohibitive especially with company/freinds etc. We figured no more going out on get togethers. It will be DIY here. It blows when prices go up substantially where we would go periodically. It's really bad when the quality is down and the portions shrink. In the county seat there are some nice places. Spendy but we don't go often. Now the city doubled the already outrageous parking fee's. No more money getting outplayed in that city. There is a bakery my wife likes the bread from but they give you the stink eye if they get no tips. Tip for what? Turning around and getting a bagged loaf and handing it to me? She tips, I don't.

I don't even pay attention anymore. It's completely out of control. What I really love is when people I know that are liberals complain, I just make a comment like, I hope they go up more. No I don't mean it, but it pissed them off. $1.89 for a red pepper. Around 300 a week for two.

I don't even pay attention anymore. It's completely out of control. What I really love is when people I know that are liberals complain, I just make a comment like, I hope they go up more. No I don't mean it, but it pissed them off. $1.89 for a red pepper. Around 300 a week for two.
Same here. Retirement worked in my favor, as I'm no longer paying $20 a day for road meals (when I was younger, I carried canned fish to save time and money, wife made me stop for hot meals in later years.) We do big batches of stews and such we make with stuff that is steeply discounted at our regular grocery, increases haven't affected us much. There is a meat pricing anomaly at the local Wegman's grocery here that I take advantage of. They sell terrific New York strip steaks for $10.99 per pound in family packs. I freeze them, and indulge every few weeks as a treat.

That chain caters to the upscale, organic crowd that makes up the Penn State population. The steak situation seems to be an attempt to draw in the fringe element like myself. It works to a point - we also buy their bakery items when I make a steak run. I used to deal with their corporate bakery during my trucking days, and they are not cheap, but top notch quality in that arena.

Have had steaks from S&S that were really tender as good as some prime and some good bull meat. Spared dog lovers the shock of saying dog meat.
Lol

Then again, there is USDA Choice and "House" choice. House choice is whatever the hell they want. Which consequently, could actually be bull meat. lol

Feel sorry for OP it's tough if you need to watch pennies in retirement. Inflation is cruel and it didn't have happen.

Over $10 for a 1/4 pounder and fries! Cereal. WTH. Packed lunches and coffee for 25 years, free transportation to work just to get here. I don’t get Coffee at Denny’s when splurging on the Geezer Menu. 15% with AARP Card.

Auto Transport Service
Back