• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eat Out or In?

Same here. Retirement worked in my favor, as I'm no longer paying $20 a day for road meals (when I was younger, I carried canned fish to save time and money, wife made me stop for hot meals in later years.) We do big batches of stews and such we make with stuff that is steeply discounted at our regular grocery, increases haven't affected us much. There is a meat pricing anomaly at the local Wegman's grocery here that I take advantage of. They sell terrific New York strip steaks for $10.99 per pound in family packs. I freeze them, and indulge every few weeks as a treat.

That chain caters to the upscale, organic crowd that makes up the Penn State population. The steak situation seems to be an attempt to draw in the fringe element like myself. It works to a point - we also buy their bakery items when I make a steak run. I used to deal with their corporate bakery during my trucking days, and they are not cheap, but top notch quality in that arena.
I haven't eaten a steak in years and it's not about the cost, it just not one of my favorites. I love pork chops, pork steaks, fish and I eat the hell out of chicken and shrimp. I eat raw vegetables by the ton ever since my thyroid started acting up. Everyday I have one handful of walnuts, two tablespoonfuls Bob's red mill ground flaxseed, 1/4 teaspoon of dried organic powdered kale, two apples and for binge eating my go to is popcorn. I went up to right at 240 with my thyroid issue and last October I started a regiment of seriously healthy eating. I now weight 192. I also speed walk 2 to 5 miles a day, everyday, on my treadmill. Twice a week I have a smoothie with everything but the kitchen sink in it. They're great with powdered peanut butter in them, all the protein without all the oil. Eating healthy can be very expensive.

Brisket prices started skyrocketing a while back -

When I first got into the "smoking" bug in the early 2000s (Im in Wisconsin, it really was a new thing up here - my family in texas not so much) I could go to local butcher and get brisket cut in any manner I chose. They would go to the cooler and cut one right off a hanger and to the approximate weight I requested. I think it was 1.89 a pound, give or take. They basically charged me hamburger price for it and I even laughed that it should be cheaper I just saved them the time to grind it.

About 8 or so years ago I hadnt smoked a brisket in a while and had some friends coming over and requested it. So I went to the same shop, requested a 14 pound brisket.....they rang it up and I almost fell over. It was basically steak pricing, when I asked why - they flat out told me ten years ago when I started buying them, nobody bought them and they really were ground into burger unless it was around St Pats day. But since all the BBQ shows, and all the pellet grills out there everryone wants them so they raised the price and they still sell them.....

Im a single guy and I eat out way too much. There are certainly some things that its just as cost efficient on eating out. But thats pretty few and far between. Some Pizza Hut deals (I actually like pizza hut) can some times get very cheap pizzas that last two meals. Chinese for lunch is pretty cheap and can be somewhat healthy if you make the right choices. Some deals on subs now and then. But in reality it would still save me a lot of money overall if I was better at cooking at home. I actually dont mind cooking, but in the summer I am so busy..... since I moved into my new place I got rid of my pellet grill, gas grill and my weber for ease of moving and just havent replaced them. I used to live on burgers, brats and chicken off the grill 9 months a year and that saved quite a bit of money.

It used to be a joke with my primary care doctor, that I was a true omnivore - eating extremely healthy at home sharing my wife's diet (identical to Hey-O's.) but stereotypic truck driver's bad diet on the road. My numbers have always been good, blessed in the genetic dice roll by my Asian ancestors. My wife is the opposite, and lucky for her, prefers the Mediterranean approach, with lots of greens and grains, and chicken, seafood, or pork for protein. It's inherently expensive, but she's always been a pro at bargain shopping, and cooking up big batches and freezing really cuts costs.

When she was still working, we used this technique to save time, as well as costs. With the current trend in inflation, it's kept us from feeling much of the bite.

they flat out told me ten years ago when I started buying them, nobody bought them and they really were ground into burger unless it was around St Pats day. But since all the BBQ shows, and all the pellet grills out there everryone wants them so they raised the price and they still sell them.....
And they were 100% right. Brisket (wholesale) back then was 1.20-1.25/lb for choice, now its $4+/lb

It used to be a joke with my primary care doctor, that I was a true omnivore - eating extremely healthy at home sharing my wife's diet (identical to Hey-O's.) but stereotypic truck driver's bad diet on the road. My numbers have always been good, blessed in the genetic dice roll by my Asian ancestors. My wife is the opposite, and lucky for her, prefers the Mediterranean approach, with lots of greens and grains, and chicken, seafood, or pork for protein. It's inherently expensive, but she's always been a pro at bargain shopping, and cooking up big batches and freezing really cuts costs.

When she was still working, we used this technique to save time, as well as costs. With the current trend in inflation, it's kept us from feeling much of the bite.
If it wasn't for my wife, Theresa, I'd probably be dead by now. We take very good care of each other, I'm blessed.

Cut out at least half of the red meat you eat. Save money and possibly your life

I'd still go for the home-cooked meal over fast food, even if the costs are on par with one another. The same thing is happening in New Zealand with food prices skyrocketing, especially meat. To the point where I was having inappropriate thoughts about the neighbour's cat the other day.

Retired Disabled Veteran on a fixed income here, so I am just me, myself, and I to consider when buying food. I average 100.00 roughly per week when I go to the grocery. I clip coupons and surf the store's website for their weekly ad as I am always trying to economize on food where I can, so I'm not too uncomfortable with what I am spending. My main store is Smiths which is owned by Kroger and has a great membership perk. For every 100.00 plus you spend you get .10 cents off a gallon of gas and it carries over to the next month. I am constantly adding to the balance so when it comes to putting gas in my grocery getter...4 banger eco-boost...so at 4.59/gal, I can get it at times to be below 4.00/gal which I like. Reno NV isn't the cheapest place for the inflated costs however, I am really doing OK when it comes to living off of 4500/month, don't spend nearly it all, and save what is left over at the end. So my savings are growing despite having to shell out last week for a new A/C unit at 11 plus grand!!! But I paid cash for it so that didn't cause me to finance it at an extortion rate of 26% after 6 months of no interest. So when I hit my grocery store, I always check the manager's special section and have scored some good buys on beef, port, and some others. I try and get Beef Shanks or Short Ribs as they are always in that section and then freeze them for a later meal. Have scored some nice individual steaks also which I will either dice up for soups chili or stews, and even some larger cuts. It does pay to have an extra freezer available along with a second fridge to help with the overflow.
An idea here for those interested...I have lately been buying survival-type food stores for when an emergency or the cost gets too high along with lots of pasta, rice, and beans/legumes. Even dried vegetables for just such a need. I don't eat out and rarely will I get takeout except for an occasional pizza to fill that fix. To the OP...If you have to rely on Mickey D's for a meal, that is desperation and I understand but you are doing a disservice to yourself and Famil by doing so...IMHO. Good Luck in whatever path you take here...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

I think that would be a pork roast.... pork steak is only bout 1" thick... i cook them under the broiler like a normal steak, i use a mustard sauce though instead of bbq (no sugar). Last time i was at the butcher, guy in front of me was paying $26 for a single porter house.. i got 6 pork steaks for the same price and much much better flavor:)
View attachment 1499564
I apply a rub to both sides of the
pork steaks, cut a few small potatoes
in half, a place the steaks on top, in
the crock pot. I'll sometimes add sliced
onions.
2-1/2 hours on the low setting. They
turn out juicy and tender.

If UPS gives it's employees 18% raise someone has to pay for it
I already did pay for it, it was $247 to send my rack and pinion unit, about 20 pounds, toTwinsburg, OH from Missouri. The guy had a stupid smile on his face. He asked me if I wanted to insure it, I said yes. How much, he asked, telling me anything over, I think it was $1200, would need to be double boxed. Adding to the price. I just looked at him and suggested that for $247 it should get there, right. He said I hope so. I said, Write your name on this so I know who to come talk to if it doesn't, his smile jumped off his face on to mine!! LOL.

$247.00 for shipping? Was that for same day delivery?
No, that's why I was so pissed. It's one of those things that we both knew he had me by the balls. Independently owned and operated franchisees are a great deal, NOT!!

Retired Disabled Veteran on a fixed income here, so I am just me, myself, and I to consider when buying food. I average 100.00 roughly per week when I go to the grocery. I clip coupons and surf the store's website for their weekly ad as I am always trying to economize on food where I can, so I'm not too uncomfortable with what I am spending. My main store is Smiths which is owned by Kroger and has a great membership perk. For every 100.00 plus you spend you get .10 cents off a gallon of gas and it carries over to the next month. I am constantly adding to the balance so when it comes to putting gas in my grocery getter...4 banger eco-boost...so at 4.59/gal, I can get it at times to be below 4.00/gal which I like. Reno NV isn't the cheapest place for the inflated costs however, I am really doing OK when it comes to living off of 4500/month, don't spend nearly it all, and save what is left over at the end. So my savings are growing despite having to shell out last week for a new A/C unit at 11 plus grand!!! But I paid cash for it so that didn't cause me to finance it at an extortion rate of 26% after 6 months of no interest. So when I hit my grocery store, I always check the manager's special section and have scored some good buys on beef, port, and some others. I try and get Beef Shanks or Short Ribs as they are always in that section and then freeze them for a later meal. Have scored some nice individual steaks also which I will either dice up for soups chili or stews, and even some larger cuts. It does pay to have an extra freezer available along with a second fridge to help with the overflow.
An idea here for those interested...I have lately been buying survival-type food stores for when an emergency or the cost gets too high along with lots of pasta, rice, and beans/legumes. Even dried vegetables for just such a need. I don't eat out and rarely will I get takeout except for an occasional pizza to fill that fix. To the OP...If you have to rely on Mickey D's for a meal, that is desperation and I understand but you are doing a disservice to yourself and Famil by doing so...IMHO. Good Luck in whatever path you take here...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:
It's actually been years since I've
eaten anything at MickeyD's. I just
used them as a comparison to the
high cost of groceries these days.
Thanks for your concern.

I home-cook all my meals, buy family packs of most meats
get some decent discounts at Safeway
with their buyers club cards (like 20%-some 40%)
retail cost is 'nucken' futs' especially on meats
prices are high enough already

going out is very rare & I never do fast-food slop/crap
guaranteed to end your life 10 years earlier at a min.

We Eat Good
a lot of chicken 1/4s, sometimes breasts,
or whole chickens are way cheaper, when they have any
a few cheaper cuts of pork (I like pork), hamburger/sausage,
polish sausage jumbo hotdogs (my guilty pleasure in wraps)
fish, I try to eat fish 1 day a week
potatoes, lots of pasta probably 2 days a week,
dried goods, rice, beans, 5-bean soup, split pea, lentils,
I do a lot of stews & soups
I do cheat a lil' select canned stuff for easy prep.
"a lot less **** goes to waste or takes up fridge space"
like sliced mushrooms, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste
sliced olives, mushroom soup, 3 bean salad fixings, Jello (my dad loves it)

Ramen noodles for lunches (for my cheap lunches)
Pizza crust & shredded cheeses, pepperoni, salami for homemade Pizzas
cornmeal flour Bisquick baking powder cornstarch
most backing stuff for pan bread & sweet cornbread
lemon juice bottles for lemonade, Coffee beans, tea bags
& my dad's decaf tea, my dad like V8 fruit juices too (expensive old habits)
then fresh fruits (shockingly expensive that produce is)
& veggies/mostly frozen Flavor-Pack now
Sourdough bread for my dad, he has something between 2 slices
'every damn day' & lunch meats (expensive)
also an assortment of dry cereals for dad (expensive ****, even bi monthly)
Tortillas for my Polish hotdog & wraps,
Bagels every so often, gotta' have a good bagel

$600+ to $800 a month or more at times, for me & my dad
another $150 ever 2+ months for my dog's food & treats

I don't buy all the stuff every time, some in bi-monthly
but pretty much the reg list
I'm pretty damn frugal, I got that for my Mom
& we don't go without much

when my dad shops he spends like 30% more than I do,
he way over buys too, buys junk food too much,
chips, cookies, sweets/M&Ms, ice cream etc.
(albeit it's better than his 10+ltrs of booze was every 2 weeks)

I have like a month of dry & canned goods stored for just in case
Dip into that stash every so often, then have to replenish it

I buy spices in big bottles online, way way cheaper, like 100% cheaper
but spend like $200 for about a year's supply

we used to pay/spend about $400+ to maybe $500 when we splurged
a month prior to 2020, did a lot more BBQs etc.
before any drinks or dog food/treats, they are sort of bimonthly deals

we usually did supplement it with a potted garden, for some fresh veggies
(just not this year, didn't get them planted in time too much rain/snow cold)

enjoy

Wall of text.jpg

Last edited:
Question I always think of is what do the poor people do? How do they feed their families?
My first world problems like what ceramic coating to get feels frivolous by comparison. Poor bastrds schlucking it out. Jobbers filling up pickup trucks. Driving Uber. Side hustles. Trying to pay the rent.

Auto Transport Service
Back