• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY SUCKS

My son in law had a similar experience. I gave him a set of NOS 68-70 Plymouth exhaust tips to sell, told him to keep whatever he got, I didn't want to deal with potential seller issues. Tips were in original boxes, only reason I wanted them gone was that they were later Mopar Perfomance versions, and the end of the tip was slightly longer than the factory original configuration, and I had just acquired a set of assembly line correct pieces.

So he puts the tips on Ebay, with photos, and a description that included the fact that factory Mopar tips had visible flaws under the chrome because they weren't polished prior to the chroming process. A total jerk buys them, then complains he's been ripped off because of the "scratches and blemishes," wants his money back. Because my son in law followed my (attorney) advice when he wrote the description, he eventually prevailed with Ebay, and kept his money, but it was a super pain in the butt for him.

My son in law had a similar experience. I gave him a set of NOS 68-70 Plymouth exhaust tips to sell, told him to keep whatever he got, I didn't want to deal with potential seller issues. Tips were in original boxes, only reason I wanted them gone was that they were later Mopar Perfomance versions, and the end of the tip was slightly longer than the factory original configuration, and I had just acquired a set of assembly line correct pieces.

So he puts the tips on Ebay, with photos, and a description that included the fact that factory Mopar tips had visible flaws under the chrome because they weren't polished prior to the chroming process. A total jerk buys them, then complains he's been ripped off because of the "scratches and blemishes," wants his money back. Because my son in law followed my (attorney) advice when he wrote the description, he eventually prevailed with Ebay, and kept his money, but it was a super pain in the butt for him.
In cases like this you have a buyer looking for a sucker. To accept a offer then resell at a premium. Thats all ebay is about. There fees are outrages for what they do for the seller. In most cases nothing. Thats how musk got rich. Feeding off of your sales.

Ebay now has eliminated Vintage Cars and Truck Parts to filter searches. Now searches are loaded up with modern unrelated parts. You might scroll 100 parts before a related part shows up. Most of my searches are useless.

They drive traffic away from small sellers to the mega sellers, and even worse to other web sites where they receive fees for affiliate marketing.

I sold a really nice working 1968-69 AM/FM B-body thumbwheel radio several years ago. I had it professionally cleaned and checked out nothing wrong with it even had the receipt to prove it.

Buyer started a return on the radio claiming it didn't work and wasn't what was advertised for sale so it froze my money in pay pal. I checked the UPS tracking and it wasn't even delivered yet! Then called Ebay and showed them what was going on and they said I still have to accept the return even though my auction listing said no returns and it was clearly fraud. Fast forward the radio that was returned wasn't the same radio I sold... It was just a AM junk radio. Called Ebay back again and raised hell until they finally agreed to give me the money I was owed and was told the buyer also got their money back along with a free radio.

Google mapped the address and checked it out. Was a big *** lake front mansion with a really nice (1970?) Chevelle parked in the driveway.

After all the B.S. I closed my Ebay account and stopped selling or buying.
This is a tad off topic, but I couldn't resist commenting on the similarities between the scammer in this post and an experience I had back in 1977 with a similar individual. I had just begun my trucking career, and was moving a couple from the ritzy Fox Chapel section of Pittsburgh to an even more exclusive neighborhood in Palm Beach, FL. The lady of the manor had packed three dozen boxes herself, highly suspicious, even to a rookie bed bugger like myself. When I did the contents manifest for the load, I politely explained the "PBO" boxes were frowned on by the carrier, and would be insured for bulk rate only, $1.25 per pound at the time. I offered to repack them for higher coverage, which she turned down. She put a claim in for $25,000 with Allied Van Lines, for "damaged antiques" in the boxes after they were delivered. Allied was so put off by the scam, they not only denied that claim, but also a legit one arising from my partner tripping and turning a custom made china closet into splinters.

Last edited:
While they can be a nuisance I’ve generally done pretty well. A good way to find buyers for off the wall stuff where you’d never find a local buyer. Not a fan of them protecting scummy buyers but then I have been lucky and had few.

Ebay doesn't suck. It is the people who suck. Welcome to retail. People cheat and lie. (on both sides) Just a fact of life.
It is just a part of doing business. 99% satisfaction means 1% are not. The more people you deal with, the more negative experiences you will have, but also you will have more positives as well. It is all about numbers.
Be happy that you have something to bitch about. Online sellers really sell convenience. Easier to post and add than to physically go to a swap meet or similar.
Don't want to chance things not going perfectly every time ? Don't sell...

I hate the "fits everything" feature. Do a search for a 68 Charger speedometer and they will show 1956 Cadillac, Ford, and clusters from farm equipment. "Fits 1968 Charger", it says.

They're holding some of my $, they want my checking account and routing number. I told em piss off put it in my PayPal account. I'll get my $ someday. Not concerned yet.

They're holding some of my $, they want my checking account and routing number. I told em piss off put it in my PayPal account. I'll get my $ someday. Not concerned yet.
If you want to cash in they will need that info so they know where to send the balance. They don't write checks. You'll have to use it up.

Ebay doesn't suck. It is the people who suck. Welcome to retail. People cheat and lie. (on both sides) Just a fact of life.
It is just a part of doing business. 99% satisfaction means 1% are not. The more people you deal with, the more negative experiences you will have, but also you will have more positives as well. It is all about numbers.
Be happy that you have something to bitch about. Online sellers really sell convenience. Easier to post and add than to physically go to a swap meet or similar.
Don't want to chance things not going perfectly every time ? Don't sell...

no,ebay Does suck.
the way they have gravitated towards protecting only the buyers and leaving the sellers hanging in the wind is ridiculous.
plus,you will have a helluva time talking to ebay live people,and,even after youve shown how the buyer is lying and trying to steal,they will Still back the buyer.
they used to take their fees right away too,so that 1 time when i sold 3 cars at same time,and then All 3 turned out to be losers,they kept my money for Months!
keep in mind they took that money directly out of my bank account Right Away too.
cleared the cases fairly quickly,but getting the money Back was a endless hassle.

my fav and the camels straw,was the asshole from california who bought my cop car wheels,absolutely beautiful green cop car wheels...they had been Professionally blasted,painted,cleared and so forth.....shipping was going to be high,i quoted him and everything was fine so i shipped them all the way to cali,and then when they got there,he raised holy hells about the shipping,and then told ebay the items were not as promised.
the finale??...
he never even Opened the boxes...just scribbled childish **** on the outside.
totally lied to ebay...i even showed them the pics,i didnt get my shipping back.
so F ebay.and their criminal assistance behaviour.

i was lucky to actually get the rims back,but that pissed me off so bad i Gave the rims to an old fella a coupla towns away for his duster....lost hundreds on that deal.
facebook marketplace is the Exact same way too,there is no way to get live help and they are Way more interested in keeping track of what you bought/sold then how the buyers/sellers act.
also,one of the posters noted the new tax laws biden passed...yes..you will be taxed on EVERYTHING you do....this is the end of the free market business model,period.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I said, welcome to retail. Did it over 40 years. Again people lie and cheat on both sides of the sale. Free is not free. there will always be people who are not satisfied. Who want to fight, take you to court, and on. Everybody has a story. That is just life. They are a business. You are using their platform because it is easy and reaches millions of people. You agree to their terms or don't get to play. They represent both sides of millions of transactions daily. You only represent one, yours.
Perspective. reality.

Once apon a time there was opportunity. To buy local from Craigslist. And sell on Ebay. (With the notion you weren't going to make a killing on just one or two items.) But not anymore. Just too many scammers.

I have never had any trouble with ebay as a buyer, or seller. That's because I have never been on that site, not even once, at least that I know of. Proud of that fact. Or craigslist..... or facebook....

Well you jinxed me. Just got a return request for an item that was accurately described... I think, but the buyer says I sent a completely wrong item to him. I can make mistakes so I assume he's correct. I immediately sent him a email asking for more information saying I may have sent the wrong one. Then I get an email back and he's up in arms because he knows I didn't have two of the items, so how could I possibly have sent the wrong one? He doesn't know what I have or don't have, but what I meant was I listed a bunch of similar items that same night, and I do make mistakes.
So, I sent another email explaining what I meant and asked him for photos because I'm really confused at this point.
Crickets.
He seems very angry for some reason. This tells me it's his mistake and he is actually mad at himself, but I'm the one who may be looking at my first negative in nearly 20 years.

They drive traffic away from small sellers to the mega sellers, and even worse to other web sites where they receive fees for affiliate marketing.

I put a "like" by your post because I learned something today and came here to find out more.
I think what you said explains what happened to me this month.
I received an item of small value from a "mega seller" and it was defective/damaged prior to shipping.
There is no doubt about that yet they denied it was damaged when shipped.
And I paid shipping.
The seller had thousands of positive reviews and no negative ones.
After taking time to send pictures and an explanation of the defect the seller offered no logical solution.
So for the first time ever I left negative feedback with a detailed reason.
I told the seller in advance .
I didn't like it but I thought it was the correct thing to do.
No sooner had I posted the negative feedback yesterday than 2 more negative feedbacks showed with one being exactly what my problem was.
Damaged prior to shipping.
Today all 3 negative feedbacks are gone.
I learned sellers can have negative reviews removed.
I can no longer trust the reviews.
Be warned.

Last edited:
I put a "like" by your post because I learned something today and came here to find out more.
I think what you said explains what happened to me this month.
I received an item of small value from a "mega seller" and it was defective/damaged prior to shipping.
There is no doubt about that yet they denied it was damaged when shipped.
And I paid shipping.
The seller had thousands of positive reviews and no negative ones.
After taking time to send pictures and an explanation of the defect the seller offered no logical solution.
So for the first time ever I left negative feedback with a detailed reason.
I told the seller in advance .
I didn't like it but I thought it was the correct thing to do.
No sooner had I posted the negative feedback yesterday than 2 more negative feedbacks showed with one being exactly what my problem was.
Damaged prior to shipping.
Today all 3 negative feedbacks are gone.
I learned sellers can have negative reviews removed.
I can no longer trust the reviews.
Be warned.
In this situation the best thing to do is file a case with eBay.
I thought there were a lot of conditions to remove a negative feedback. It must be easier if you're a mega seller.

I'm not worried about the "ninety and nine lost sheep".
When I look at life, my filter tells me that there will always be the "one-percenters".
Please tell me most people have this ability in looking at reviews?
The problem I have is inaccuracy in reporting.
That's my point.
I saw a pattern.

And to your good suggestion.
Another point is that in my particular case the "point of diminishing returns" has been surpassed.
When people say "it's not the principle of the thing, it's the money", it's usually the money.
But sometimes it can actually be the principle.

Auto Transport Service
Back