• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Economical auto to 4 speed conversion?

I have about $1000 in my 4 speed conversion. '65 Coronet.

Used 833 o/d and bellhousing from an F body

Speedway Motors hydraulic slave cylinder

Pedals were already in the car

Brewers clutch fork, pivot and boot

Used Wilwood master I had on the shelf

Used driveshaft that I will shorten to fit.

New floor hump from another member here

I get a charge of people wanting a 4 speed while many are ready for a automatic especially as we get older. I gave one of each and I can stand the 4 speed for just so long cruising around it town and it has a light clutch in it. My most fun automatic was a Slap Stick controlled 727 with a B&M shift kit in my Challenger. Hit second and bark the tires pretty much any time.
I have a 4 speed in my 69 383 RR I made from an auto small block Satellite. It is tons is of fun to drive in the countryside, but it does sometimes get old pretty fast driving around town. As far as economics are concerned it definetly wasn't cheap when I converted it from an automatic.

I have a 4 speed in my 69 383 RR I made from an auto small block Satellite. It is tons is of fun to drive in the countryside, but it does sometimes get old pretty fast driving around town. As far as economics are concerned it definetly wasn't cheap when I converted it from an automatic.
While my Dad's cars were all automatics my driver's ed car was a '64 Rambler with 327 and three on the tree.

My first automotive job at an ENCO station required you to drive stick... '60 Chevy wrecker, two '59 Chevy loaner cars with 348/3 speeds.

And 51 years driving big trucks with multi speed manuals...some with two stick transmissions.

A couple rush hour forays into Chicago, New York or LA driver a two stick makes 4 speed a walk in the park.

Some good info here.

Auto Transport Service
Back