• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Economical auto to 4 speed conversion?

koosh

Local time
8:55 AM
Reaction score
Hydraulic aftermarket kit?
Factory 4 speed clutch parts?
I'm looking for experience converting factory column shift auto to a 4 speed manual in 69 charger.....
Is hydraulic the way to go, or search for used pedal assembly with the necessary linkage components?
Thanks

Finding a B-Body doner will be the cheapest. You will be surprised how much the rest of the parts will cost. I doubt you can buy everything used and do it on your labor for less than 3 grand.

Pedals and linkage.
Floor Hump.
Pilot and throw out bearings.
Flywheel.
Pressure plate and disc.
Bellhousing.
Dust shield.
Flywheel cover.
Clutch arm boot.
Transmission.
Shifter and linkage.
Shift boot and bezel.
Shift knob.
Cross member.
Mount.
Drive shaft.
All the hardware.

There is no economical conversion that I am aware of. Brewers will put together a quote listing out absolutely everything needed. About the only way to save money is to spend time rounding up some of the pieces on here or swap meets.

When I did my auto 4 speed conversion, I found someone going the other way (4 speed to auto) and bought everything off them. Way cheaper and I got almost everything. It there was still a number of small items I still bought separate.

In addition to the 4 speed functional parts, you may need the interior pieces that include 4 speed carpet, console, and trim pieces. This is if you’re going a factory correct type conversion.

Saw this on another post down stream this morning. Maybe a 5sp might be easier to get all in one?

IMG_1420.png

...but will add considerably with all the mods and floor/cross brace cutting and fabricating.

...but will add considerably with all the mods and floor/cross brace cutting and fabricating.
No more fabrication than putting a floor hump in.

Here's a member thinking about converting to auto. Might be worth a shot to enquire.

I get a charge of people wanting a 4 speed while many are ready for a automatic especially as we get older. I gave one of each and I can stand the 4 speed for just so long cruising around it town and it has a light clutch in it. My most fun automatic was a Slap Stick controlled 727 with a B&M shift kit in my Challenger. Hit second and bark the tires pretty much any time.

I get a charge of people wanting a 4 speed while many are ready for a automatic especially as we get older. I gave one of each and I can stand the 4 speed for just so long cruising around it town and it has a light clutch in it. My most fun automatic was a Slap Stick controlled 727 with a B&M shift kit in my Challenger. Hit second and bark the tires pretty much any time.
Just like AC, most people didn't want a musclecar with AC, now everywhere you look they have AC added in the classic musclecars.

Last edited:
Saw this on another post down stream this morning. Maybe a 5sp might be easier to get all in one?
This is the only correct answer if you’re starting from absolute zero. And, as mentioned, there isn’t near as much cutting necessary as what used to be.

This seems to usually go the same way. Guy gets a quote for a 5-speed conversion package. Guy sees the “high” price. Guy thinks he can piece together something cheaper. Guy spends months piecing together a conversion that ultimately costs more time and money than a TKX would’ve been. Guy claims he put his conversion together “on the cheap” but really knows the truth.

Silver Sport Transmissions’ TKX Front Shift Kits Add More Fits - Mopar Connection Magazine | A comprehensive daily resource for Mopar enthusiast news, features and the latest Mopar tech

I bought both my E87 D21 ‘70 ‘Cuda and ‘70 Charger back in the early 80’s specifically because they were factory 4 speed cars. Even then gathering all the parts was a daunting task.

I'm doing the same conversion on my '65 Coronet right now.

I'm also retired, broke and cheap.

This car will get a used $100 318 that I bought from a friend. I don't need a $500 clutch setup for 200 hp (if I'm lucky). I don't need bling. I don't care about buying new... every car on the road is running on used parts.

I bought an aluminum O/D trans and bell housing from an F body for $350. Got a new trans hump from a forum member for $150.

Converting an automatic trans cross member to a manual style. (Somehow the words "trans cross member" give me the heebie jeebies today but didn't just a few years ago...I digress).

Rock Auto flywheel and clutch cover, t/o bearing and disc $220.

Speedway Motors hydraulic slave cylinder $55. I have a few Wilwood masters in stock from my dirt track racing days.

My car had three pedals already installed years ago. Saved maybe $150.

I spent $150 on misc parts from Brewers... flywheel bolts, clutch fork and bracket, u joint straps, fork boot etc.

I have an driveshaft from a B350 van that has a good 727 yoke and I also have a good used shaft I can cut to fit. I do my own driveshafts. No they don't shake.

I am fabricating my own bracket to mount the new slave cylinder. I'm using an old chunk of 1/8" cold rolled steel from my scrap pile.

Bought a used Hurst shifter on fleabag for $75... I'm using the shift rods that came with the trans.

Found a used Hurst shift lever with patina that matches my car for $50.

This is a bucket seat Coronet 500 but I'm just leaving the console out for now.

So I will have about $1000 in it...I'm sure I will have to buy a few more bits.

That's more than I paid for the car!!!

More than I thought, too, but I am selling off some of my unused dirt track parts so I will not have to add much cash if any.

Anyone that spends thousands on this conversion should toss their gold card into the trash and come back down to earth with us regular folks.

Yes I understand doing it "right" , resale, etc. But I'll be dead in a few years and I don't care.

Like that sorta famous car guy with a YouTube following...."Don't get it RIGHT....just get it RUNNING!"

IMG_20240102_001238637.jpg

View attachment 1583712

IMG_20240102_000028310.jpg

IMG_20240101_235844055.jpg

IMG_20240101_235726847.jpg

Last edited:
I got a quote for everything from Brewer's a few years back. Approx $6k USD without shipping to Australia.
That was pedals and everything, very comprehensive, trustworthy supplier.

I got a quote for everything from Brewer's a few years back. Approx $6k USD without shipping to Australia.
That was pedals and everything, very comprehensive, trustworthy supplier.
I agree about Brewers.

And I can understand that cheap parts don't grow in trees in your part of the world.

I wonder how much a kangaroo would cost shipped to the US?

Unless you get lucky (ie member converting 4 spd to auto), you will spend months if not a year or more looking and negotiating for cheaper parts. Even then, you may not find all the parts necessary. You can get all the parts in one shot from Brewers, and they are good quality parts that work. This may cost you a few hundred dollars more. You need to figure out how much is your time worth.

If it’s worth anything, I always dreamed of a 4 speed 2nd gen Charger and though I had a couple 69s and a 68 back in the late 90s/early 2000s factory 4 speed cars were hard to come by. I started collecting parts to do the conversion on my 68 and never got everything…even then it was expensive. So when I decided I was in the market for a 68-70 Charger I waited until I found a 4 speed car (well 3 speed already replaced with an 4 speed) and pulled the trigger. Parts for these things are so high these days it’s almost worth paying the small (when lucky and not in a hurry) premium to get a car that’s close to how you already want it set up and move forward from there. My 2 cents I guess.

Auto Transport Service
Back