• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edelbrock Performer RPM head work prior to install?

68 Sport Satellite

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:40 PM
Reaction score
Assuming I've made up my mind to go with the 84cc Edelbrock Performer RPM big block heads fully assembled and then have some bowl blending done as well as install new springs and possibly valves, can those who have done so please give me recommended specifics on which replacement springs to get and valve sizes if needed? I don't want to spend the extra cash to do a full port job on these. This will only be a street machine with a once a year track visit. Feel free to list anything else I would need for these heads besides these if I haven't listed it.

For the purposes of this info gathering, please don't try to talk me into a different set of heads. I am still considering that and have a bunch of info on other heads, but now need info on the above for the edelbrock RPM's. Thanks.

Also, if any of you know of a respectable outfit that sells these heads already polished with new springs/valves and ready to go, let's hear about it. I know these heads are supposed to be good out of the box, but I'll want to change the springs for sure.

Come on, I know there are some of you who have bought RPM heads and had work done prior to install...

i don't use those heads but if it were me i wouldn't change the valves or springs unless i was going to use a big cam and do a full port job. if this is a street set-up just buy the heads from the vendor of choice, take them to a competent machine shop and have them looked over and make any necessary corrections.

i don't use those heads but if it were me i wouldn't change the valves or springs unless i was going to use a big cam and do a full port job. if this is a street set-up just buy the heads from the vendor of choice, take them to a competent machine shop and have them looked over and make any necessary corrections.

thanks for the input!

Purchased these heads, and I feel the same way as the above posters. I kept the stock springs and retainers (even with the .590 purple shaft), and i'm running them out-of-the-box. I looked over them myself and was not too worried; they looked great. No external oil lines, specialty offset rocker arms, just a 'ROCK SOLID, AMERICAN MADE' performance cylinder head that will last you many years to come.

Spring selection will depend on your cam. The Edelbrock spring setup should be Ok with most hydraulic cams. Valves should be fine. You may want to back cut the valves and do a multi-angle valve job on the heads, along with mild port cleanup and gasket matching the ports.

Bring them to a competent machine shop and have the seats checked for run-out. Anything more than the valve-to-guide clearance is unacceptable (.002"). A shop with good carbide pilots, a quality seat and guide machine and good cutters can make them perfect. I use Sunnen and Newen tooling myself, on a WVN machine. Touching off the seat angle with a fine stone will make the finish flawless.

In my shop, we do not buy complete heads. The run-out and guide clearance is way beyond the standards we adhere to. I also prefer to scource my valves/springs/parts from better vendors than Edelbrock uses.

Auto Transport Service
Back