• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric fan troubleshooting help 68 Road Runner

DoomRunner

Local time
1:49 AM
Reaction score
With my limited knowledge I have been trying to get to the source of my electric fan problem. Started about a week ago my voltage started jumping from 12 to 16 during a drive and my fans wouldn't come on. I replaced my voltage regulator which resolved the voltage fluctuation but fans still won't come on. I have tested every connection from the fans to the bulkhead connector. Getting continuity everywhere. Even the sketchy looking blue wire that's spliced into the orange wire that runs to the relay. That connection has continuity: it's dead coming from inside the car. Bulkhead connector looks fine and continuity is good on the engine side. Cannot trace the wire on the inside yet without taking more stuff apart than I want to. Any thoughts. The orange wire could be moved to another power wire I guess but would like to troubleshoot that blue wire on the A slot.

66D5842D-DCA1-4FF6-897A-ED5B297A0E5C.jpeg

09E22F88-075C-43A3-8FD2-72D37588484F.jpeg

181A7265-3C97-424F-827B-A50FC776B1A8.jpeg

Last edited:
OK, stupid question....did you run wires off the battery directly to the electric fan(s) to make sure the fan(s) isn't going bad?

U should be running the fans off 12V leads directly from the battery/alternator.. Use a control relay to do the switching as the electric fans draw far too much current(like 30A-50A) to run through the bulkhead connectors..

Just my $0.02....

Thanks. The fans are running off the alternator and the relays are wired into the wire I have pics of. The fans are getting power to them and will run on their own when bypassed but the wire in the photos that leads to the relays is not. That wire is without power and it runs thru the bulkhead into a wiring harness behind the dash and is untraceable by me without taking everything apart.
At any rate before I lost all patience and or Jerry rigged something and burned my car down I scheduled an appointment with a classic car electrical shop and someone who knows more than me just tracing wires and checking fuses and probing around with the Power Probe. It will be money well spent.

Auto Transport Service
Back