• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric fan what are you using ?

XMAN JR

Local time
10:58 AM
Reaction score
My dad wants to use a electric fan on his 62 polara. There is not enough roof between the water pump & radiator for a manual fan. Anyone using a electric fan on the street & what kind, size, cfm ect. I mean room lol

Last edited:
My dad wants to use a electric fan on his 62 polara. There is not enough roof between the water pump & radiator for a manual fan. Anyone using a electric fan on the street & what kind, size, cfm ect.
That don`t sound right. I`ve got a mechanical fan on a 505" wedge in a 68 barracuda=smaller engine bay ! That being said, I a have new, 16"-chrome -3000cfm elec fan I`m not using if ur interested.

I used a fan/shroud combo from coolingcomponentsinc.com on my hot rod with 392 hemi works well. check their website out for size of you radiator and clearance required.

My dad wants to use a electric fan on his 62 polara. There is not enough roof between the water pump & radiator for a manual fan. Anyone using a electric fan on the street & what kind, size, cfm ect.
I recommend a Derale Tornado 16". Quiet, two speed, low profile, low amp draw and very easy to mount or modify should you wish to fab a shroud. Funny thing about cooling fans is that the winning of the blades can drive you nuts after a while. If money's no issue you could get the best that Spal offers but huge airflow equates to huge amp draw with them and they're not too quiet.

You'll need at 4000cfm to cool the engine, so a dual fan set up is what I'd look at. Derale has a few dual fan set ups thepull 4000 cfm, amp draw us near 50 upon start up, so you'll need to make sure your electrical system can handle that kind of load.

I use dual 10" Spals that come mounted in a shroud. It's hard to fit a single since the tightest spot is at the water pump where your fan motor needs to be. Pushers free up space but aren't as good as pullers since a shroud in front of the radiator would block flow on the freeway. Love Electric, you get full CFM regardless of engine RPM when it's most needed... traffic.

My dad ended up putting in 3 core radiator. Its about 3 inches thick. Between the core & the pump pulley is 3 inches. He is worried about the manual fan hitting the rad. core. He bought a new clutch fan & there is not enough room.

Get a Hayden short clutch, 2947 I think it is.

That don`t sound right. I`ve got a mechanical fan on a 505" wedge in a 68 barracuda=smaller engine bay ! That being said, I a have new, 16"-chrome -3000cfm elec fan I`m not using if ur interested.
Thanks ill let him know. What would you want for it ?

My dad wants to use a electric fan on his 62 polara. There is not enough roof between the water pump & radiator for a manual fan. Anyone using a electric fan on the street & what kind, size, cfm ect. I mean room lol

Interesting that there's not enough room. You didn't say but are you running an aftermarket radiator and/or water pump setup?

Hayden makes a shorter fan clutch than the "jag clutch". It's part number 2947.

Interesting that there's not enough room. You didn't say but are you running an aftermarket radiator and/or water pump setup?
Mopar water pump. Champion 3 core radiator. Not sure why he went with a 3 core. 3 core = 3 inch rad.

i use this assembly. keeps 600+ hp ice cold in 115 degree heat. butted up to 26 inch champion 4 core . custom mounts.
i6206.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back