• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric power steering?

Tony Tee

Local time
2:24 PM
Reaction score
Just watched a video on YouTube about installing electric power assist steering in a A body . Anybody have feedback on this? I like the super easy smooth one finger hydraulic power steering on old mopars . And drove my brothers Hyundai with electric steering and found that was slightly twitchy. Are they all like this?

My 2016 Charger R/T, has electric PS.
It seams fine to me. Not as "over boosted" as our cars are sometimes called.
In the Charger you can tweak the "feel" of the power steering, via sport mode, and in the set up screen, helps get the feel the driver is looking for.

My 2016 Ram has electric steering too, and I can't tell the difference by feel. I actually looked at the motor to see if they were bullshitting me...

As far as how an aftermarket setup would feel, you would have to test one out on another car. Our 2016's were designed with it, not as an aftermarket add-on.

Hey 69Bee, in your Ram, can you change the settings on the electric power steering, like the cars?

Hey 69Bee, in your Ram, can you change the settings on the electric power steering, like the cars?
I am not sure. I have poked around on the setup menu on the radio (truck setup too) when I got it but have slept since then, so I don't remember. The Charger would be more inclined to be "situationally" changeable than a Ram 1500 I feel. I can turn off "ECS", but I think that is traction control.

I have electric steering in my 2018 Ram. One different thing I notice is the lack of load feel. You get use to it but in awkward situations like while driving on snow covered roads, imo, I don't feel as 'in control' as I did with my other truck.

Not really relevant here but, my last 3 quads have all had electric PS and I love it.
Mike

Boogala boogala explains which ones don't need the ECM to operate. Some have just a module to operate. There's hundreds of videos on these. Go to a junkyard or find them on EBay. I'm wanting to install one on my riding mower!

Been looking at doing the electric conversion to my A100. Since no-one offers a replacement steering gearbox...might be the easier and less space consuming way to go.

I'm literally helping a kid with this setup. Only minor help machining the shaft and maybe some TIG welding but he is doing all the work. The project is a 90's Nissan pick up and the power unit is from a Prius. Yes, a Prius seems to finally have value. He brought the unit over and we set it up in a vice and it's really cool how it works. It required 10ga wire and at least 30A I believe if not more. At a certain speed the power assist becomes inactive.

Auto Transport Service
Back