• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric Vacuum Pump

Gospel Runner

Local time
3:39 AM
Reaction score
I have a high HP engine that does not give me any vacuum to assist my brake booster. I bought an electric vacuum pump, but it is bigger than I expected and it does not fit under the hood. Can I mount this in the trunk without loosing vacuum with a long hose? Does anyone run one of these or have any experience with them? Thanks in advance!

We did a big block blower car awhile back.Mounted in the trunk.Ran stainless 3/8 line to booster only using rubber for the connections. Worked very well.

Thank you. I will try this and let you know how it works.

I have the pump plumbed and the hose connected. I am next going to wire it to a switch. I will let you know how it turns out.

Don't forget to flip that switch !

Ok everything is wired and working. My car is so loud, that I cannot hear the pump with the engine running. Because we have 10 inches of snow on the ground I have not been able to road test the operation of the pump. It does give me a hard pedal and that is encouraging. When this snow goes away, I will update you again. That may take a while since today we are getting another 5-6 inches and Wednesday they are predicting even more. Oh well, that is northeast weather for you in February. I will be patient and work on some other stuff while I am waiting. Have a blessed day and thank you for sharing your time and knowledge.

I have the same set up in my 440 dart, add a vacuum reservoir you get one good stop with just the pump.

Just a storage can around the size of a coffee can

Why can't things be simple? When you are told by several people that you trust, the solution should be the end of it. I feel like I am chasing a never ending problem. Oh yeah, there is always just one more thing. That pump was not cheap. Oh I know you are just trying to help me, so I am not mad at you, just frustrated that someone did not say from the outset, you are wasting your time, buying that expensive pump; try this? Oh well, I will have to wait until I can build up the cash flow again. Have a good night!

Oh I know I had the same problem, If I ever do it again for the price I would do hydraboost.

If it doesn't rain or snow tomorrow, I will try to take that car out for a stroll around the block. I want to see what will happen when I tried to stop going 30 mph, then 40 mph. I will let you know! Have a blessed evening!

I took the old bird out and ripped the tires. The brake pedal remained hard through the entire test. The brakes were not great as I had to stand on them pretty hard. I don't know if that is a problem with the pump or just a brake problem. I will bleed them again and see what happens.

From my experiences I'd go with a cannister over a pump.

So what should I experience when I press the brakes? Should there be a depression of the pedal or should the pedal remain stiff with little to no depression?

My Caddi and 04 Ram pickup both allow for the pedal to depress. Should expect the same from the 70 RR? If so, I will move forward and buy the canister.

Working properly, you should have a brake pedal that is easy to apply brakes. It will get hard to depress if you don't have adequate vacuum.
I installed a vacuum pump onto a 55 Chevy that I was doing some work on. I think it was a SCCA brand, expensive. I mounted it on the rad support, where there was good space. That thing sounded like a wood pecker under there. I used the rubber mounts that it came with as well. While it worked ok, the noise from it was irritating. Eventually it vibrated a crack into the rad support even. The owner eventually replaced it with a cannister and was happy, although not impressed that the vacuum pump cost him lots.
My buddy has one on his 66 Coronet and space, also a problem. He ended up installing it behind the front bumper area. His pump is quieter than that SCCA one, but still irritating to listen to.
A vacuum cannister will give you the vacuum that you need but eventually it will deplete if you're like sitting in traffic. Depends lots on the cam your running. If you're running a solid cam, maybe a different valve lash may give you more vacuum. It may come down to either the cam or the power brakes being changed.

OK Houston we have a problem. I am going to hunt for a canister. Since you have been down this road before, what brand/ size do you recommend?

OK Houston we have a problem. I am going to hunt for a canister. Since you have been down this road before, what brand/ size do you recommend?
There's lots of vacuum reservoirs out there that will all do the job. Summit sells their own and it's about 35 bucks. You should make sure though that your booster is working properly.
Good luck!

Auto Transport Service
Back