• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing and Reading Vacuum

Yeah, mine pings pretty good on anything over 34 on 93 ethanol.

Adjust for best vacuum at idle (mixture on carb).
Adjust timing for best vacuum initially also at 2600RPM (vacuum advance disconnected,
outlet plugged), then do the "under load" highway/hill adjustment as described previously.
You'll find it comes out usually between 33-36 BTDC when checked afterwards.
Hook vacuum advance back up (if you want; some folks don't).
Done.

40 degrees total on a healthy 440 is high.
Try to keep it around 32 to 34 degrees.
thank you. I haven't completed setting the innitial timing yet. Did a quick test drive yesterday at 5 degrees advance and will slowly adjust to take more timing until it pings or starter kicks back.

Will you be taking the GTX to the Spring Fling show this weekend (June 4th)
1685464736956.png

I'll be there.

40 degrees total on a healthy 440 is high.
Try to keep it around 32 to 34 degrees.
That's a bit too general of a statement. A healthy street 440 close to stock with a proper fuel will like 38-40.
A healthy 700 horse 440 with efficient chambers and high compression etc may very well like it in the low to mid 30s.
The word healthy doesn't really describe properly.

Unfortunately it will not be there.
Still need a dash pad (its coming) and get the engine mounted on the K-member to get it ready to mount from underneath.
See my build postings in the members projects section.

If my buddy gets his 58 sorted, I'll be driving it to the show.
The ragtop Dart will be there too.
20130818_064223.jpg

Unfortunately it will not be there.
Still need a dash pad (its coming) and get the engine mounted on the K-member to get it ready to mount from underneath.
See my build postings in the members projects section.

If my buddy gets his 58 sorted, I'll be driving it to the show.
The ragtop Dart will be there too.
View attachment 1472442
Beautiful cars! I'm a little nervous taking the GTX, haven't put enough shake down miles on it yet. Will hopefully get the timing dialed in and everything running smoothly by Sunday.

For timing, watch your vacuum and rpm gauge as you twist the distributor for more advance. Vacuum will go up as well as the rpms and at some point vacuum and rpms drop off. Your sweet spot is close to where it topped out. Then adjust the curb idle down to where you want it and check again.

Kind of back and forth checking. The more initial you dial in, the more you need to limit total mechanical advance (vacuum advanced plugged) which means welding up plates or getting a limit plate. The total timing should fall in the mid 30's.

Road test it. If it is hard to crank, back it off. If it pings and shudders, back it off.

just a question if your pulling brake booster off the front of the carb where are you pulling your PCV from then? PCV is generally pulled from that carb port and brake booster is from a manafold nipple

Hello Karl, it was great to meet you today at the show.
Your GTX look awesome.
You left before the awards were handed out and your name was called for an award.
I think it was one of three for the peoples choice award.

Hopefully the club will get a hold of you to tell you.
Congratulations.

For timing, watch your vacuum and rpm gauge as you twist the distributor for more advance. Vacuum will go up as well as the rpms and at some point vacuum and rpms drop off. Your sweet spot is close to where it topped out. Then adjust the curb idle down to where you want it and check again.

Kind of back and forth checking. The more initial you dial in, the more you need to limit total mechanical advance (vacuum advanced plugged) which means welding up plates or getting a limit plate. The total timing should fall in the mid 30's.

Road test it. If it is hard to crank, back it off. If it pings and shudders, back it off.
great info. Thank you for sharing! I was wondering how total vacuum is limited.

Your GTX look awesome.
You left before the awards were handed out and your name was called for an award.

Congratulations.

Your GTX look awesome.

Congratulations.
Hello,
it was great meeting you also. I really apprecate you sharing your wealth of knowledge on this generation B body. I was absolutely thrilled to find out I won people's choice. I guess I'll be hearing from the club shortly.

Auto Transport Service
Back